Monster Oak in North Lakes

Big J

Came across this monster of an Oak near Hesket New Market whilst walking at the weekend:

IMAG0398.jpg

It stands alone in the middle of a field is possibly the largest Oak I've seen anywhere this far north. My wife is sat on it there, and I very roughly guessed it at about 9ft in diameter (though it's a little narrower when viewed from the side of the tree).

Either way, had a little climb up to the crutch and marvelled at it for a good 10 minutes.

It's well worth a trip out to as Hesket Newmarket has Britain's only co-op pub with it's own brewery and the ale is stunning!

Old Crown Pub - Hesket Newmarket Cumbria - Britain's first co-operatively owned pub

Jonathan

I know one oak that will qualify for the big oak thread :biggrin:

Tony with this one here, do you reckon we've got a dual colonisation? I.e. base rotter like dryadeus with fistulina in the higher sections? Looking at the burring beginning almost level it seems that way.

That's how I see it, what do you think?

I know one oak that will qualify for the big oak thread :biggrin:

Tony with this one here, do you reckon we've got a dual colonisation? I.e. base rotter like dryadeus with fistulina in the higher sections? Looking at the burring beginning almost level it seems that way.

That's how I see it, what do you think?

aargh you mean the one from the OP!

grifola possibly at play rather than dryadeus in this case, though not 100%, theres no butress seperations and the root compensation is lower than most dryadeus cases

aargh you mean the one from the OP!

grifola possibly at play rather than dryadeus in this case, though not 100%, theres no butress seperations and the root compensation is lower than most dryadeus cases

Did I make you think then? :biggrin:

I get ya. Dryadeus was just an example. I thought Grifola was something to do with it in this case but wasn't sure.

I won't pretend that I know much about what you two are on about, but it really was an exceptional tree from our point of view. As soon as I saw it in the distance, I could tell it was a monster.

What was nice was that there was no indication that it was in decline - good, full crown with no die back, no visible to pockets and even some interesting fusing of secondary stems (over 3ft in diameter) a little higher up the tree.

My guess on age is high 300s, early 400s of years old?