Buy a chipper for 5k 'ready for work' then spend £1,600 fixing it :(

Jonny Burch

Morning

Just had a very expensive week!

Bought my first chipper (1999 Entec through Earborist) off a private seller. Go to pick it up, when I get there he says the chipper needs jump starting as the battery's gone flat. Once going it works fine for a few minutes then the infeed button doesn't work. Tell guy I''ll still take it and agree (on paper) that if any work needs doing to it then he'll pay the bill for repairs. Bring chipper home and go straight to Greenplant so they can identify the problem. They then say that bearings,fins and other electrical problems need sorting, give me an estimate of around £1000. Long and short of it is the bill came over £1.600

Have tried to contact seller with phone calls and Emails and no response.

Where do I go from here??

Any help much appreciated

Jonny

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Morning

Just had a very expensive week!

Bought my first chipper (1999 Entec through Earborist) off a private seller. Go to pick it up, when I get there he says the chipper needs jump starting as the battery's gone flat. Once going it works fine for a few minutes then the infeed button doesn't work. Tell guy I''ll still take it and agree (on paper) that if any work needs doing to it then he'll pay the bill for repairs. Bring chipper home and go straight to Greenplant so they can identify the problem. They then say that bearings,fins and other electrical problems need sorting, give me an estimate of around £1000. Long and short of it is the bill came over £1.600

Have tried to contact seller with phone calls and Emails and no response.

Where do I go from here??

Any help much appreciated

Jonny

Solicitor's letter. Don't bother messing about because they are obviously hoping you will just get bored and go away. :thumbdown:

Solicitors letter is a waste of time and money. You are not legally obliged to reply to a solicitors letter....if the guy knows this he'll just ignore it. You might get lucky, he might see it and panic in his ignorance and pay you.

Skip the solicitor and go straight to court

Didn't explain myself very well, still half asleep. :blushing: I meant the letter as a fore-runner of going to court :001_smile:

Edit; a registered letter will do the same as a solicitor's letter, namely bringing it to their attention with a record of it.

Edited by felixthelogchopper
Added a bit

Difficult with a private sale. You probably need to be able to show that the seller would have been aware of the other problems (bearings, fins, electrical probs etc) and knowingly mis-sold it. Bit late now, but there is no way I would have taken it without it being looked over there. You wouldn't look at a car, find problems with it that the seller hadn't mentioned, then agree to pay full amount for it with some promise he'll pay for subsequent repairs. And if I was selling, I wouldn't agree to that either!

As for what to do now, you could always pop round and speak to the fella and ask if he'll refund some of what you paid so you can put that toward repairs, or you could get someone to fix it for less money. There's a bloke works on my mates truck for £30/hour compared with garages charging £75/hour, the electrics shouldn't be too bad to sort out, there's nothing magical about bearings. And also, even if you buy from a trader, things like "fair wear and tear" doesn't mean goods are faulty. A 13 year old chipper is possibly going to have a lot of "fair wear and tear", and things like bearings are certainly liable to wear and tear.

Not much help I know. Get the chipper fixed as cheap as poss and make it work to pay for itself might be the least stressful option! Visit him, if no luck then tell him you'll be involving the courts if he won't pay toward repairs or refund in full. But the court might not side with you anyway.

Edited by Pedroski

Green plant ended up fixing it. Touch wood its been great since. I've got it on paper saying that he'll agree to pay any repairs. In the emails I've sent I've said that if he'll pay a grand (final bill over £1600) then I'll be a bit happier. An going to go to citizens advice next week. Should I contact Earborist to see if they have any other details on him?

Should I contact Earborist to see if they have any other details on him?

Looking at their TOS i'd say there would be little point

Disclaimers

eArborist.com is an advertising only site, we will not be involved in the sale of items advertised on the site. Purchasers will contact sellers directly with eArborist having no participation in any sale. We have no interest in the sale price of any items advertised on the site, take no commission, and will not be involved with any financial issues surrounding the sale of any items advertised on the site.

No adverts which contain language or pictures unsuitable for a public site or which are likely to cause offence to viewers will be accepted on the site. Although eArborist.com will take every care to make sure adverts of this nature do not make it into the public domain, the ultimate responsibility to ensure that an advert is decent and appropriate is that of the advertiser.

eArborist.com reserves the right to change, amend or remove any advert at any time which in its sole discretion is deemed unsuitable for this site.

Information on the site is provided on the understanding that the website is not engaged in rendering advice and should not be wholly relied upon when making any related decision.

Information on the site is provided on an “as is†basis with no warranties expressed or otherwise implied relating to the accuracy, fitness for purpose, compatibility or security of any components of the Website.

We do not guarantee uninterrupted availability of the www.eArborist.com Website and cannot provide any representation that using the Website will be error free.