Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forestry and Woodland management Discuss all aspects of forestry. Discuss ecological issues and laws pertaining to woodland management.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-12   #1 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Ecological woodland management

I thought I would start a thread, for those of us working on woodlands for enhancing ecological benefits as well as all the other outcomes acheived by good woodland management.

I hope this thread can develope to a resource and am happy for people to add links, photos, documents that may benefit peoples development as woodland managers and advisor's.

Im going to start it will a link to a great FC document on standing deadwood in woodlands http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/lifei...hedeadwood.pdf and a link to a wildlife trust website on deadwood B&BC BAP - Deadwood Habitats Technical Appendix

Next week I will put up some photos of a ride widening project to enhance light penetration into the woodland.

Please feel free to add addition info, or photos of projects
Old 17-02-12   #2 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Re: Ecological woodland management

Good thread, good links

Thanks Charlieh

"
William Blake

TreeFung-ous

david.humphries@cityoflondon.gov.uk
Old 17-02-12   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012

Funnily enough I'm working on a few FC sites at the minute clearing paths (but retaining deadwood habitat)

Pics are on the computer at home, will post later

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

http://arbography.blogspot.com/
http://instacanv.as/robarb3000
Old 17-02-12   #4 (permalink)

Please feel free to add any useful links and info you must have stored up David,

I will add a recommended reading list that can be added to as the thread developes but these I would highly recommend as a starting point.

FC: Managing Native Broadleaved Woodland - Ralph Harmer, Gary Kerr and Richard Thompson

Ben Law: The Woodland Way -A Permaculture Approach to Sustainable Woodland Management

RSPB: Woodland Management for Birds: A Guide to Managing for Declining Woodland Birds in England

Im sure there are lots more I will remember as the thread developes, but these three books are fantastic to read before embarking on a journey into woodland management for ecological benefits, and fantastic references to have available if writing woodland management plans for conservation. There isnt many weeks go past without me picking them up and thumbing through them for info or a bit of reading.
Old 17-02-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2011

fantastic thread Charlie and I will be watching it and participating with interest.

This is my 3rd year now of working for a farmer and doing his hedgerow coppicing for him, also each year he marks a few trees for us. We currently use an agent for woodland advice but it is something im becoming more and more interested in and am starting to enjoy it more then the farming itself at times.

As well as reading material, can knowledgeable folk let me know of any Woodland Management short courses that are available and worth doing.

MAny thanks
Old 17-02-12   #6 (permalink)

Introduction to Small Woodland Management OCN Level 3

Here you go, great venue, good cafe on site! and Jim is a fantastic tutor

you actually have to complete a management plan for the qualification as well, you can do this for a wood of your choice
Old 17-02-12   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as Thompson Woodlands

Posterd this in training section too but thought it might get seen here too

From: GR National Team [mailto:GRNationalTeam@forestry.gsi.gov.uk]
Sent: 16 February 2012 12:06
Subject: Discover how to access profitable woodland

FREE training daysto help you to access the Forestry Commission’s Woodfuel WoodlandImprovement Grant.

If you are seekingto engage new woodland owning clients, access ‘roads’ grants andincrease your expertise in forest road building... then this is theday for you!

Register nowon one of the following one-dayworkshops forprofessional woodland managersaimed atdemystifying the Woodfuel Woodland Improvement Grant (WoodfuelWIG).

FlimwellWoodlandEnterpriseCentre,EAST SUSSEXfrom 09:00 to 16:30 Tuesday, 28February 2012
Access to profitable woodland - make woodlands pay their... - Eventbrite

SpyeParkEstate, WILTSHIREfrom 09:00 to 16:30 Wednesday, 7 March2012

EnglefieldEstate,HAMPSHIRE, from 09:00 to 16:30 Thursday, 8 March 2012
Exmoor House,EXMOORfrom09:00 to 16:30 Thursday, 19 April2012

ConkersEnterpriseCentre, DERBYSHIREfrom 09:00 to16:30 Wednesday, 25 April 2012

The Manor HouseHotel,COUNTYDURHAMfrom09:00 to 16:30 Thursday, 26 April2012

United Utilities,CUMBRIA, from 09:00 to16:30, 15 May 2012

You will learn howthe grant operates, understand its technical requirements and beable to populate a Woodland Improvement Grant (WIG) calculator. Youwill come away fully equipped to confidently recommend the scheme toowners, help them towards a successful application, and improve theprofitably of their inaccessible compartments with high quality,grant-aided roads and tracks.

You will be able toquiz the WIG administrator, our consultant engineer and ForestryCommission representatives about all aspects of forest roads andgrant aid. And you will come away with a valuable resource packcontaining all of the information you need to help your clients toimprove their woodland’s infrastructure and capital value.

It will be a packedday – but it’s not allclassroom; after acomplimentary lunch there will be an afternoon site visit to discusssome of the theory in a real-life situation.

BOOK NOW!!Click on the links above toregister or call 01494 568976.

Further events areplanned for theSOUTH EAST, SOUTH WESTandCUMBRIA. Toregister your interest for forthcoming events please call 01494568976 or emailevents@ngagesolutions.co.ukwith yourcontact details.

Places are limited and weexpect that there will be high demand for these events so pleasebook early to avoid disappointment.
Old 17-02-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieh View Post
Introduction to Small Woodland Management OCN Level 3

Here you go, great venue, good cafe on site! and Jim is a fantastic tutor

you actually have to complete a management plan for the qualification as well, you can do this for a wood of your choice
Just booked my place. If anyone wanted to attend this and wanted some accommodation, I could probably put you up, I'm not to far away from the Greenwood Centre.
Old 17-02-12   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin jack View Post
Just booked my place. If anyone wanted to attend this and wanted some accommodation, I could probably put you up, I'm not to far away from the Greenwood Centre.
Jim who runs the course has some heavy horses that he has used for logging

There is also the three day practical course, however if your already involved in woodlands and tree work the two day class room based course is probably a better course as it focus's in detail the paperwork and funding side more than the practical out in the woods type situation.
Old 17-02-12   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

shall be watching this thread, nice one charlieh

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter — for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour