Ancient woodland translocation - help please

sjarthur

Hey guys,

Im looking for a bit of help and advice from you helpful lot!

I am currently undertaking masters in Environmental Consultancy at Plymouth University. Before coming back to further studies I worked for the national trust in Cornwall for a number of years as a ranger and woodsman and really found a passion for our ancient woodlands. For my final research project I am hoping to combine my scientific work with my passion for woodland management and protection.

My current working title is:

Semi natural ancient woodland translocation: can a quality woodland site ever be recreated using current translocation methods and technologies? And how successful have past relocation projects been at recreating a similar environment to the donor site.

• I aim to assess the ecological quality of woodland that can be attained from the translocation process through collection and analysis of field data. Specifically the species composition of flora at the receptor site.

• To compare the quality of translocated sites with base line data from original sites if available. The use of data from a neighbouring site may be necessary if data is unavailable.

• To compare the ecological quality of woodland created by various techniques, primarily natural colonisation, woodland plantation and translocation from a donor site.

• I also wish to consider the current methods of translocation adopted by contractors and assess their merits and short comings with the aim of potentially creating a set of guidelines for translocation projects.

I was hoping you may be able to provide me with some assistance with Identifying areas of woodland recreated by translocation of ancient woodland.

Also any of you out there that have carried out translocation projects I’d love to talk to you about the techniques you used, how you thought the relocation went and how you think you could improve.

Do you hold any records of sites that may be potentially suitable for the project? I am able to travel around the country for sampling and would ideally be looking for 2 or 3 sites. I have already identified suitable sites at both Stansted and Manchester airports and am currently seeking access to the areas woodland.

Any help, assistance or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Cheers then

sam

My my, that is a difficult task.

The one thing you'll never translocate or replicate with even the biggest budget is time, you cant just recreate the hundreds of years that it takes for life forms to move into an area.

the soils and their associated flora and fauna take centuries to build, if it was so simple a task many of us would not be so concerned about threats to ancient woodland sites.

We can speed up the initial stages, veteranising trees etc but there is not, nor will ever be a substitute for time.

nice idea and project though!

I think the difficult aspect would be the soil micro flora and associated conditions, these woodlands have to some extent become possible after hundreds of years of colonisers before them altering the soil conditions to make such woodlands exist.

the nearest thing to this sort of project i can think of would be hedgerow translocations such as those carried out for new roadways and other development.

from those Ive spoken to who have experience of this - success is not guaranteed - not necesarily down to the fine details such as soil conditions/ micro climates/habitats but the bigger details such as time of year too.

I also think that soil and the life it holds is the key to this, mainly because relatively so little is known. I also think that this is the main reason we see natural forces being the only valid option. Experimentation and work is needed so good luck!

When you talk about translocation does that concept include the trees being planted at the original site to build associations before being transplanted at the new site. I have seen an old permacuture video that showed a sheep farmer in NZ 're-seeding' impoverished grassland with fertile cubes of soil worms and all, spaced at a pre-determined distance from each other. They were harvested from his remaining rich pasture land, which quickly recovered. Within a year the lifeless soil was visibly busy with life, worms and the like. So maybe possible with woodland soils????

• 3 weeks later...

Sam,

It would appear we both have similar aims. I have been tasked with evaluating methodologies that have previously been employed for ancient soil translocations (and the replanting of the translocated soils) and also with reviewing any reports in existance which document the monitoring of the resulting woodland.

I would suggest reading up on the M2/A2 motorway widening which involved ancient woodland translocation: this journal may help you JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie. I would also search for a report by Geoffrey Roberts entitled ‘ The relocation of ancient woodlands’ which I have found very useful as it evaluated the methods of AW translocation that had been implemented to date in 2001. I understand you already know about the AW translocations involved with Manchester airports second runway which is a good project to research, as is the Channel tunnel rail link.

I wonder if you might share what info you have gathered already and any preliminary findings you have come to?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ed