Bow Chainsaws

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

I have tried for several weeks to contact the two firms in the USA I know who used to produce these but no response at all. (E-mails are going through and not bouncing back so might be going into a spam box which is never checked?)

Is there someone on the forum who knows of an alternative reliable source as we have used this fine tool for logging firewood before and find very good on rough tree lengths when on the woodland ground.

The spare curved bars and carbide chains are the items needed.:001_rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried for several weeks to contact the two firms in the USA I know who used to produce these but no response at all. (E-mails are going through and not bouncing back so might be going into a spam box which is never checked?)

Is there someone on the forum who knows of an alternative reliable source as we have used this fine tool for logging firewood before and find very good on rough tree lengths when on the woodland ground.

The spare curved bars and carbide chains are the items needed.:001_rolleyes:

Still looking and need some with all this tree debris on the ground in the dirt.:001_rolleyes:

HI all, newbie to your brilliant site here (have been well entertained/informed for many weeks and love the site!!!

the bow type bars made by poulan and homelite are still (stihl lol) available stateside check out eyay usa

POULAN BOW GUIDE BAR | eBay

Homelite Chainsaw Bow With 4 chains | eBay

out of interest my old stihl028avs handbook has a page or two about bow bars. they were much more popular in the 70s

cheers all:001_cool:

• 5 months later...
I cant really see any advantages over standard bars, and a big disadvantage (huge kickback area) http://www.arboristsite.com/stickies/109002.htm is quite a good read on the topic :thumbup1:

Thanks for that link. Main advantage is firewood logging in rough conditions and less bending down when tall and this is when were are often and the material too mixed to go into an expensive fuel machine.

You have to have all the guards in place and make certain you hook the spike if you use one of those things .Because the chain is cutting the wood basically on a round surface they are extremely fast .

They were originally made for pulp wood cutting ,clearing etc .Because of the shape of the bar they were less apt to become jambed .Popular at one time but I haven't seen any in use for years .