Big diameter Fir - what's it any good for?

Just had a landowner on the phone saying he's had a couple of big Firs on the edge of his arboretum come down in the wind. They're not doing anythign any harm so off to have a look tomorrow.

From memory, if they are the two I'm thinking of they were both pretty straight, not massive in height (probably still sub 100ft) but were both a good bit over 3ft diameter above the toes.

I'm not 100% sure what they are, I thought Silver but he's saying Noble - either way I'm guessing they aren't the most desirable of timbers as most of the mills seem to dislike anything in normal sawlog diameters.

I'll have a better idea tomorrow of what's there and what might be usable but theres a reasonable chance if they haven't snapped that we could get them out in fairly sizable chunks between the digger and winching.

Anyone any suggestions as to buyers?

I know what you mean.... there's prob so many things that could be used for but if there's no demand for what you saw then it's tricky to justify getting it milled..... looking around at some of the stacks of timber in my yard testifies to that.....

Give us an idea what you might be looking for money wise chris,per cube/tonne and will have a word about, what length can you get them out in?

Nice one - I'll know better tomorrow and let you know - if you fancy a look it's on the same site as the firewood but up the other end. Reckon it wouldn't take a huge amount of work to be able to get Kieran's 6 wheeler fairly close and we should have a 15 tonne 360 with grapple to hand too so theoretically they could be fairly long.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

I know what you mean.... there's prob so many things that could be used for but if there's no demand for what you saw then it's tricky to justify getting it milled..... looking around at some of the stacks of timber in my yard testifies to that.....

Absolutely - and if it's anything like Grandis it's really brittle too so doesn't want to go too small.

I've been trying to find time to do a bit of milling over the last year but never get chance as we're too busy felling at the mo.