winch job

jose

Hi all.

Been asked to remove a large beech stump that fell into a small stream a couple of years ago.

I dont ever do any and dont have the kit or knowledge to do it.

Its at the bottom of a garden with not access other than by foot so no machinery access.

The trunk is still about 6ft from the ground level however its almost lying flat on the ground. there are a few trees nearby that could be used to winch from, at most 5 m away at a guess.

The job is in Ascot, Berks

Anybody interested please pm me and then we could go have a look. If i am passing again i will pop in and get some pics.

Many thanks

Jose

Hi all.

Been asked to remove a large beech stump that fell into a small stream a couple of years ago.

I dont ever do any and dont have the kit or knowledge to do it.

Its at the bottom of a garden with not access other than by foot so no machinery access.

The trunk is still about 6ft from the ground level however its almost lying flat on the ground. there are a few trees nearby that could be used to winch from, at most 5 m away at a guess.

The job is in Ascot, Berks

Anybody interested please pm me and then we could go have a look. If i am passing again i will pop in and get some pics.

Many thanks

Jose

Can you use a hand winch (tirfor) to get the stump out?, failing that knock the soil from around the stump and cut it up in bits with the chainsaw using bio oil.

you can probably cut up more than you reckon and split off ring segments with wedges, bars etc.

Has the stream washed away most of the soil off it? Get a stiff brush on it and a bar to poke out soil from between adjacent roots and a bucket to pour water over it. You could budget a new chain into the price or hack off lumps with an axe.....

or just go hire a winch....use old rope & slings, but it sounds like its going to need lifting so its up to you whether you try it in one lump. long poles n old corrugated sheets make skidding easier.

only thing that smells is the dirty water its in :)

the tree fell over 2 yrs ago and i cleared it up but the remainig stump and butt was lying on the dirt so we dint want to do in the chains digging dirt.

Since then the gardener has tried to lever it up a bit and it has actually moved up about 6 inches so you could cut off the remaining timber without any worries.

The problem is it was originally on the edge of the stream so there isnt any kind of hole where the root plate was so it needs to go up over the edge again.

Actually tbh its really a ditch, about 3-4ft deep and 3-4ft wide i guess.

as far as i know nobody else has looked as i am good friends with the gardener and hes the one who got me in the first time and again this time.

All honesty i dont want it, i mean theres only so much you can put on a job, and i dont really know where to start with regards to the time it will take and the hire costs and strengts of the winches etc.

Hence why i thought i would offer it up to thoses who may have done this kind of thing before.