what do you all do when you run out

Jimbob87

Hi First year cut and seasoned 52 tonne of ardwood in april which ithought looked alot lol started selling steadily @ £80 a cube or £155 for 2 now phone red hot took 20 out this last week next week looking good 2. At this rate il run out in a month lol what should i do turn people away and hope they come back next year when il have bigger stock pile or get some in and sell it green and risk them not coming back? Feels like im guna b between a rock and a hard place. My personal pref is to be honest and discount my prices for the fact its green and let people have the choice.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi First year cut and seasoned 52 tonne of ardwood in april which ithought looked alot lol started selling steadily @ £80 a cube or £155 for 2 now phone red hot took 20 out this last week next week looking good 2. At this rate il run out in a month lol what should i do turn people away and hope they come back next year when il have bigger stock pile or get some in and sell it green and risk them not coming back? Feels like im guna b between a rock and a hard place. My personal pref is to be honest and discount my prices for the fact its green and let people have the choice.

Be honest with your customers, tell them that demand has massively exceeded supply and all you have left is wood for winter 12-13. To get them back on board next year you may think about a small discount on the first order as a gesture of thanks.

Depending on where you are you might be able to buy 25 tons or so from someone else here but you wont be making much money selling it.

A

I used to have this headache every year. Personally I think its better to be able to offer them something than nothing, as long as you are honest with them. Theres no business sense in discounting it though...you have the same amount of work to do, and if you dont sell it now and sell it next year instead you'll probably earn more money out of it anyway.

No point selling green wood to your customers. You might get a sale, but maybe not return orders, and a reputation, especially a negative one spreads fast. You would be better off cutting your losses, (no pun intended) and buying in a lorryload of seasoned hardwood. It might be expensive and could cost you between £40 and £50 a tonne delivered in, depending on where you live but at least you will be giving your customers a good product and they'll be back next year. Its a case of short term pain, long term gain

No point selling green wood to your customers. You might get a sale, but maybe not return orders, and a reputation, especially a negative one spreads fast. You would be better off cutting your losses, (no pun intended) and buying in a lorryload of seasoned hardwood. It might be expensive and could cost you between £40 and £50 a tonne delivered in, depending on where you live but at least you will be giving your customers a good product and they'll be back next year. Its a case of short term pain, long term gain

let me no where you can buy seasoned hardwood for £40 or even 50 a ton... cheapest i can, and have been buying is 36 a ton.... and there cutting it down one day and i'm picking it up the next...

firewood prices have to rise dramaticaly in next year or so or theres gonna be very short supply...

let me no where you can buy seasoned hardwood for £40 or even 50 a ton... cheapest i can, and have been buying is 36 a ton.... and there cutting it down one day and i'm picking it up the next...

firewood prices have to rise dramaticaly in next year or so or theres gonna be very short supply...

Im paying 40 to 45 for stuff thats been felled now first load arives next week

I could sell you some for £35 a tonne, roadside. Its been down since June, its ash and I'm in Northants, so not sure what the haulage would be. Depends on where you are.

Id kill for 26 tonne of ash but i think haulage to east yorkshire would kill it. couldnt even imagane the cost lol

well said mate thats excatly what I do, I buy in wholesale at £47.50 a cubic bag split and bone dry, move it on for £80,,,not fantastic but easy deliver 10 in a day, especially locally, I charge £10 xtra for delivery over 8 miles away, and usually flog them some kindling too,all xtra, hopefully next year i will have enough,,but I doubt it,,,,sold 165m3 before end of august this yr, and am busy plitting next yrs now,:thumbup:

well said mate thats excatly what I do, I buy in wholesale at £47.50 a cubic bag split and bone dry, move it on for £80,,,not fantastic but easy deliver 10 in a day, especially locally, I charge £10 xtra for delivery over 8 miles away, and usually flog them some kindling too,all xtra, hopefully next year i will have enough,,but I doubt it,,,,sold 165m3 before end of august this yr, and am busy splitting next yrs now,:thumbup: