Navara problems - anyone else any experience with them?

Big J

I'm five months and 9000 miles into my Navara tenure. It's not going so well really.

It keeps losing power (going into limp home mode) which is usually fixed by switching it off and on again. However, on two occasions, this hasn't sorted it, the engine management light has come on and the RAC have been called. This evening was a case in point.

There have been various fault codes, and issues such as blocked turbo wastegate, dodgy earth wire and fuel rail issues suggested, but nothing seems to fix it.

I'm really getting to the end of my tether with it as I got rid of my old truck to get something more reliable. Currently, the old Mercedes was more reliable than this Navara.

Has anyone else had such issues, and what fixed them?

Additionally, where do I stand legally with my lease purchase arrangement? The way I look at it, I'm paying for a product that isn't working, and honestly, I would happily give it back. Nissan don't seem too interested, and will only give me a Micra as a replacement vehicle. Not much use for towing or forest tracks :thumbdown:

Help!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats poor, I'd start kicking up a big fuss and threratening them with trading standards / watchdog or whatever.

have you tries searching forums? maybe its a common fault.

If you cut a hole in the floor, remove the drivers door and the roof, you'd probably fit in a landy, problem solved.

its not a mitsubushi what can i say.......

if ur not getting satisfaction from garage go over their heads, straight to Nissan Uk

ur rights as a customer

. First and foremost, whoever sells you the car must ensure they have the right to sell it and can pass on full ownership to you. If it turns out that the car is stolen or belongs to a finance company, you will not automatically then own it, even if you have already handed over the cash.

Secondly, the seller must ensure that the car is exactly as described. Therefore if it has air con, CD player etc, then these features must not only exist, but they must also work; if it is in excellent condition, it should be relatively free from marks, scratches, dents and rust; if certain parts have been replaced, they must not then break down after a short time and so on. The description of the car also includes make, model and accurate mileage

Thirdly (and this is where your rights differ), if you have bought the car from a dealer, the car must be of satisfactory quality. Satisfactory quality is defined as what a ‘reasonable person’ would regard as acceptable, taking into account factors such as price paid, fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, safety and durability. If it becomes apparent that the car was not of the quality you were led to expect, you are quite within your rights to go back to the dealer, even after some weeks or even months of use. If it was the case that you were invited to carry out a thorough inspection of the car before purchase, and then you go back to complain about something which that inspection should have revealed, you will have no legal rights in that regard.

If you have bought the car from a private seller, who does not normally trade in cars, then there is no legal obligation on the seller to provide a car of satisfactory quality, and it is therefore a much riskier purchase. For this reason, there are more consumer complaints about the purchase of second hand cars than any other, so exercise significant caution – buyer beware!

Thanks for the speedy input chaps!

It's tremendously frustrating really - I don't actually really want another car. I like that it's fast and comfortable, spacious (if you've met me, you'll understand why that's especially important!) and economical. I just want it to work. Fundamentally, I don't trust it not to let me down at the side of the road. I've already lost a good working day to recovery and garage visits.

I shall call the garage first thing.

I think what gets me the most is that it's literally brand new. What's the point in shelling out £353 a month for the damned thing if it's just going to let you down?

Jonathan

i take it you have a d40 ? if under warrnty send it bk to nissan ,:001_smile:

Yep, 11 plate D40. I would love to send it back to Nissan, but they want to give me a Micra type car back as a replacement. It's like you lot who runs arb trucks with chip boxes on the back getting a Mini Cooper as a replacement! :lol:

If i were you, i would try a different Nissan dealer. I had an issue with my clutch when it was still under warranty and i went to my local dealer and had massive arguments with the service manager. In the end i took the vehicle 15 miles to another dealer and they sorted it with no trouble at all!

I havent heard of the troubles youre having but i think youre engine is a different spec to my 2006 d40.

Mine has been super reliable... The only things to have gone is the clutch (warranty) and a rear propshaft u/j. Cheap motoring for 136,000 miles!

I'm sure the courtesy car they give you has to be the same spec or above but cant remember who told me that!:blushing:

Jonathan, take a deep breath and go through the small print of your lease agreement; there may be some useful obligations on the part of the supplier there.

Also I should think that goods leased are as subject to the 'fit for purpose' law as much as goods bought unless specifically excluded by agreement. A phone call to Trading Standards may sort that one out.

Having a rant at Nissan first can't do any harm though I'd guess.

I'm on a leased 11 plate Nav too and am not impressed with the build quality and finish: the paint is just outrageous - I've never seen such poor stuff on a vehicle. Functionally mine's been OK (I'd hope so too after 3,000 miles) but the rattles and squeaks don't speak 'finish'.

Jon

Some progress today. Spoke to the lease company, the finance company and the Nissan dealership. The dealers have a Pathfinder that I've been promised for later in the week, which is at least reasonably acceptable.

I've not had to strongarm them yet, but I will if I need to. They are becoming increasingly helpful at the dealers as I suspect they realise that this is a fairly major issue, especially as it's been different faults each time.

Jon - I'm glad I'm not the only one with rattles. After about 1000 miles I took it in to have about 3 rattles addressed. They managed to fix one, but the others remain. I just expected better quality of finish. The paint on mine's OK, though I have the grey metallic. It's already fairly scratched though due to forestry work and has a ding on the passenger side rear wing due to a gatepost that decided to shear off as I drove though it! The dealership will have about 2 hours worth of mud to carve through before they can even get to the car (it was washed 2 weeks ago). As well as the general forestry work, I got epically stuck today - right to the chassis, required John Deer power to rescue me!

Rambling now....

Jonathan