squirrels

Has any one used the Kania traps for squirrels? got a few to many getting about in some blocks of woodland i help look after. Poison hoppers arent an option on site, and im loathed to use fens on the ground (and i dont think the site managers would allow it)

I could use some of my bethal rhodes mink traps but i just think the chance of by-catch is to high in the woodlands, The other option is multicatch cages, but i haven't seen one of these made well enough for my liking, they all look a bit rubbish,

There have been air rifle shooters doing the control in the past, which would be my first choice being two people with decent air rifles, but the last few people didnt stick to squirrels :thumbdown: and really have done shooting no favours. I would go and do a few hours with my air rifle but i cant put the hours in to do the job justice.

So Kania's yes or no? any feedback on themgrey-squirrel-control-in-rural-areas.jpg

for those that dont know what they are, this is a picture of one, they are a spring trap that can be baited and attached to a tree trunk so only targetting squirrels

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate, they work well but very expensive! If your certain there's no poison being used in the area you can sell your sqidgy's to pubs and restaurants so they pay for them selves in the long run! I run 200 fens for squirrels and as long as you make some decent boxs for your tunnels and you set them properly you'll catch more, and there a damn site cheaper

I have tunnels and a few fens but they arent suitable for this site really, no poison being used locally, one neighbour was using some poison but has stopped. I notice Stanton hope currently have 10% off the kanias but still just over 100quid for 2 :sneaky2:

wonder if ratchet strapping a fen to a tree would work :lol:

I've put fenns in empty bird boxes for squirrels, it works but you will still catch more on the ground than in a tree, in areas that are very public I dig a trench then put my tunnel box in and then cover it with soil just leaving one end open, push a stick in to stop non targets, you wouldn't know it was there and when you catch a squirrel it's out of site.

kania's are exellent, expensive yes but its the old game of weighing the pros and cons.

give killgerm a ring (cant remember number but google it and it'll be there) they are an excellent firm to deal with and will help as much as they can, they may even recommend someone close by that may be able to help you.

failing that, have you thought about snaring them, cheap, simple and effective and you dont damage the meat so you can have your own back by eating the little buggers:001_smile:

not if its done correctly, i've snared hundreds of squirrels and foxes and got to be into the 1000s with rabbits and only ever caught 1 cat by accident

I have to agree! I make a living from trapping and snaring and if done correctly its one of the best methods of vermin control! However if your new to snaring go and do a trapping course to stay the right side of the law.

Did anyone read the article (about 18 months ago) about the guy who caught a Squirrel in a live trap and put it in a tub of water to kill it, RSPCA took him to court and he was fined £1500.

Not sure how they expect you kill a Squirrel in a live trap, guess you could take it to the RSPCA!.