Cutters - how much m3 do you cut a day?!

How many m3 can you hand (motor-manual) cut a day?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many m3 can you hand (motor-manual) cut a day?

• 1-2 m3 a day; cadburys caramel and all that!
    • 2-5 m3 a day; getting on a bit now!
    • 5-10 m3 a day; the saw's a singin!
    • 10-15m3 a day; Full on, got to get on!
    • 15-20m3 + a day; logset 10H is my middle name

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest answers now!

What metreage do you think is average / good / exceptional.

Assume average everthing! Ground, weather, timber, etc!

2nd/3rd thinning

hardwood pulp 8/10/12 (cutting and stack on own)

softwood 5/7/9 (smaller sawlog,bars,stake,rails,pulp etc)

proberly get shot down in flames but honest answers:001_smile:

have done alot more but also done alot less:001_smile:

Put myself in the 5-10 catagory. Depends on what the spec is. If it's 3.7 or even 4.1 m saw then i find its best for the forwarder driver (normally me) just to pick them up where length way in the rack and stack the rest.

I'd have to do a hell of a lot more softwood stands to build up to getting more than that. Still a harvester could do 10 to 20 times more than me. That makes me sad.

interesting thread tcd, looking forward to replies!

i dont have a clue what i cant cut in a day, been working on first thinnings recently, oak and ash, but im always on day rate

Just gone into some nice ash thinnings last week, was knocking a fair bit of that out, no hang ups unlike the big tops in the cherry...

Only do hardwoods these days. On a 10inch DBH 55ft (17m) tree you would generally get 4x3.5m products. Rough calculations on volume are:

1st length, average 9 inch so 0.15 cubic meter.

2nd length average 6 inch so 0.07 cubic meter.

3rd length average 4 inch so 0.03 CM

4th length average 3 inch so 0.017CM

Plus 0.07 guesstimate for additional branchwood product and secondary stems.

Total 0.337CM per tree.

In a reasonable stand with perhaps one in 10 trees creating more than a momentary hangup, I would do around 50 trees per 8 hour day, or 16.85 cubic metres. Last week I had a couple of days in easy 60-70ft, 12-14 inch DBH sycamore. Did 6.5hr days (excluding breaks) and felled around 22-25 cubic metres each day, cut to length and stacked where possible.

I worked it out at each tree being about 23 on a single tree tariff. about 0.35 volume over bark. I'd still go for doing 10m3 but which would bre about 30 trees at that volume. At a push i could get 40 done if hand ups weren't too frequent which would be about 15m3.

Hats off to Jonathan they be some fast and efficent cutting your doing to get volumes like that. If you were paid by the tonne you'd of been happy that day.

Hats off to Jonathan they be some fast and efficent cutting your doing to get volumes like that. If you were paid by the tonne you'd of been happy that day.

Thanks mate! I should stress that those numbers were in very easy sycamore (only a total of 6 hangups over 2 days, and some big trees too). I try to avoid difficult woodland where possible as I can't get into a rhythm and find it tremendously frustrating. This is especially the case with very brashy trees, as I find the chaotic disorder flummoxing! I am open to the suggestion that I am quite likely to be on the Autistic Spectrum! :lol:

Thanks mate! I should stress that those numbers were in very easy sycamore (only a total of 6 hangups over 2 days, and some big trees too). I try to avoid difficult woodland where possible as I can't get into a rhythm and find it tremendously frustrating. This is especially the case with very brashy trees, as I find the chaotic disorder flummoxing! I am open to the suggestion that I am quite likely to be on the Autistic Spectrum! :lol:

I get mainly difficult woodlands we have lots of neglected woods down here. I know what you mean about not being able to find a rhythem. Brash at the top i don't mind but when you have to brash your way into every tree i get quite dishartened.