Forestry registered vehicles

I was hoping to find out a little information regarding the use of a vehicle solely for forestry.

For the felling work I undertake on the estate, I require a 4x4 but don't want to go to the full (capital expenditure and running) cost of buying a conventional 4x4. I am interested in buying a vehicle and registering it for forestry. My understanding of it so far is this (please correct me when and where I'm wrong!):

* Forestry vehicles are MOT exempt - is there any form of test in it's place?

* Forestry vehicles qualify for NIL road tax.

* Forestry vehicles can run on red diesel.

* Forestry vehicles can go on public roads to a limited degree but only from one woodland to another.

Any additional information would be hugely appreciated and I am interested in any reasonable 4x4 should anyone have one quite cheaply.

Jonathan

VOSA don’t write the rules on testing exemptions, or much of anything else really.

my mistake, department for transport, not vosa! even if you get a testing exempion the vehicle still needs to be maintained to an mot standard, can you imagine the roadside check when vosa, (who enforce the rules) look over the vehicle?? that would make their day putting a pg9 on a test exempt vehicle, the fuel is down to customs & excise, end of the day one man against many local authorities isnt going to stand much of a chance, the only group i know who do successfully bend the rules is the showmans guild, fair play to them:thumbup1:

my mistake, department for transport, not vosa! even if you get a testing exempion the vehicle still needs to be maintained to an mot standard, can you imagine the roadside check when vosa, (who enforce the rules) look over the vehicle?? that would make their day putting a pg9 on a test exempt vehicle, the fuel is down to customs & excise, end of the day one man against many local authorities isnt going to stand much of a chance, the only group i know who do successfully bend the rules is the showmans guild, fair play to them:thumbup1:

from the showmans guild website "Not to be confused with gypsies, we are an individual community who put on in excess of 200 fairs weekly" :lol:

sorry to sway from the subject...

If you use a vehicle registered as an "Agricultural" machine then it has to be used for Agriculture/Forestry/Horticultural purposes which can include roadside trees and hedges and for clearance of snow/gritting. It cannot according to the NFU and HMRC be used for private tree surgery work in gardens.

No MOT needed but vehicle should be as good as if going for one. (Lights/Brakes/Tyres/Mirrors/Seat lapbelt)

No Road Tax needed but you still have to place one from the DVLA in the front window.

Insurance is needed is going on a public highway for more than 1 mile and crossing.

Can have a number plate at each side instead of at the front/back. (Due to linkage equipment)

Legally can use red diesel on the road between work sites. (There is some discussion at present on distance allowed but I have in writing that provided you have work/materials on each site then this is allowed)

Service and maintenance is important to keep safe and earning without breakdowns.

Land Rovers used to be able to be registered as this class when the back PTO and Linkage was available from them.

If you use the machine for different purposes then expect it to be seized if stopped.

• 2 weeks later...
Got myself a 1989 Mitsubishi Shogun yesterday. Enjoy driving it so much I might keep it fully road legal! Picked it up in Plymouth and drove it straight back to Edinburgh - 478 miles.

Will post pictures.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

i very much doubt you'ld be able to register it as an agricultural vehicle anyway.