Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forestry and Woodland management Discuss all aspects of forestry. Discuss ecological issues and laws pertaining to woodland management.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-05-10   #1 (permalink)

Best all round thinning saw

Apologies for the daft question, but based on your experiences, what would you recommend as the best all round thinning saw for hardwood?

I'm going to be doing a lot of hardwood thinning this year, primarily up to about 18 inch trunk diameter (though most in the 6-12 inch range).

What's stood up best to the abuse of being chucked around and felling dozens of trees day in, day out?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Old 18-05-10   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012

Re: Best all round thinning saw

husky 357 18 inch bar
Old 18-05-10   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2010

stihl 441 mate 20inch bar
Old 18-05-10   #4 (permalink)

I use an MS361 15" bar and find it great for everything, plenty of torque and very reliable. I have used a 357 and it was good but I have a great stihl dealer nearby and its just my personal preference.
Old 18-05-10   #5 (permalink)

ms200t in each hand.like edward scissor hands
Old 18-05-10   #6 (permalink)

A pro saw from one of the main manufactures (Husky, Stihl, whatever) less than 50cc. 15" bar, Full chisel chain (that is sharp).
Old 18-05-10   #7 (permalink)

I have experience of motor manual commercial Beech thinnings of that size and upwards. I used a 044 - 16 and 18 inch bar, (now 441) and ten years on she still fires up.

My colleague used a 372 18 inch bar.

Another guy (very high producer) used an 066 for the felling and large cross cuts. A 026 for snedding and smaller cross cuts. Sensible when you consider unnecessary wear and tear on small/big saws, chain wear, fuel economy and personal fatigue.

You will kill a saw under 50cc if your felling 18 inch Beech all day in my opinion. You need a bit of grunt.
Old 18-05-10   #8 (permalink)

What's with the big saws for hardwood thinnings???!

Nair erd nuttun like et boy!

Husky 242xp, oh woops can't get that anymore, 254, oh sorry discontinued years ago too. 346 man!

I got laughed out of the woods when I turned up on my first day back in the 90s with my 036 (eq to 361). Far too heavy; small and fast is the way to go.

346 or 357 or ported 260.

(or put a narrow kerf bar on the 26...)

God Save the Queen.

www.redlineoil.com
Old 18-05-10   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Apologies for the daft question, but based on your experiences, what would you recommend as the best all round thinning saw for hardwood?

I'm going to be doing a lot of hardwood thinning this year, primarily up to about 18 inch trunk diameter (though most in the 6-12 inch range).

What's stood up best to the abuse of being chucked around and felling dozens of trees day in, day out?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blease View Post
I have experience of motor manual commercial Beech thinnings of that size and upwards. I used a 044 - 16 and 18 inch bar, (now 441) and ten years on she still fires up.

My colleague used a 372 18 inch bar.

Another guy (very high producer) used an 066 for the felling and large cross cuts. A 026 for snedding and smaller cross cuts. Sensible when you consider unnecessary wear and tear on small/big saws, chain wear, fuel economy and personal fatigue.

You will kill a saw under 50cc if your felling 18 inch Beech all day in my opinion. You need a bit of grunt.
6" to 12" with a bit upto 18"!

And you would do this with a 70+ cc saw? (things have changed since I was in commercial cutting)

Mind you, I only did softwoods
Old 18-05-10   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberCutterDartmoor View Post
What's with the big saws for hardwood thinnings???!

Nair erd nuttun like et boy!

Husky 242xp, oh woops can't get that anymore, 254, oh sorry discontinued years ago too. 346 man!

I got laughed out of the woods when I turned up on my first day back in the 90s with my 036 (eq to 361). Far too heavy; small and fast is the way to go.

346 or 357 or ported 260.

(or put a narrow kerf bar on the 26...)
There you go, thats more like it. Stick with Devon logic