forestry work?

I think that with the influx of cheap (foreign) labour, money to be earned from forestry etc has gone, well unless you're hiring in cheap (foreign) labour to do the work. Plus many landowners will have the work carried out for the wood, esp in coppicing, very hard to get paid to do it!! I think we are going to see a change soon, as standing timber is now fetching a higher price, esp sycamore

there are whole dale sides up here where the sycamores have been felled for conservation and left! (and a load more about to be done)

there will be more work coming in with conservation forestry in the future, sustainable woodland management etc, but i suspect this will be such low intensity that work from it will be uncommon, and most of this will be carried out by people from the conservation organisations as they all have staff (and dare i say it volunteers) who can do this work!

Edit: The only money to be made with coppice imho is if you own the coppice and work it yourself (your not going to get rich as a coppice worker)

I don't want to get into tree work for the money, I have read enough on this forum to know that it is underpaid. I dont pay much rent, no kids , no debts , and I am sick of working in the sticks in offices.

Been thinking of dipping my to toes into this work for a while, even tapped up the local farmer for some free barn space and land ( I think I promised him free logs for life , lucky we didn't put it in writing!)

Funny there are no ceiling fixer forums? wonder why?

Plus many landowners will have the work carried out for the wood, esp in coppicing, very hard to get paid to do it!!

In a lot of cases, you have to pay the landowner, and then try and make a living from what you cut.

The conservation type work is very satisfying, but if the work is funded - especially by a local authority - you never know where you are from one year to the next. I expect a downturn in a lot of funded conservation work over the next few years, as local authorities cut as much expenditure as they can to sort out the equal pay stuff.