GIS survey software.

Buzz

I currently run some very basic software and am seriously considering upgrading to Woodplan or Arbortrack. Has anybody got any experience of these or would you recommend an alternative product. This would be used for tree survey work.

I'm running a Dell Axim X5 Handheld PDA with windows XP.

Ta.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we use the Arbortrack maps at work on one of the schedules we work through, and i find them the easiest maps to understand and work from. i am also at college with the son of the bloke who owns Arbortrack, so I may be able to put you in touch with him and get you a decent price :thumbup1:

Arbortrail is good. As are the ArborCAD/shadow progs..... especially if you're going to be getting into BS5837 surveys.

But they're really only intended for data collection and mapping.... if you want a full on management programme, probably best off looking at Ezytreev.

Welcome to EzyTreev.com ... for the complete tree management system

I've only got experience of Arbortrack, which I've run for about four years.

It's like most things in life, you get what you put in.

We get someone to attend the yearly user group meetings which gives you access to the tech and other country wide users.

You only have to look at the user list on the web site to see how far and wide it's now used.

Arbortrack - Tree management software - ArborTrack

We've split our site into risk zones and plot & surveyall trees within these zones on a Samsung Q1 :thumbup1:

I find the little tweeks at every new version upgrade more than useful.

But as said at the top, this is only based on user experience of this software & from anecdotal stuff from other London LA's using different software, Ezytreev etc...

597654db5421d_CopyofP4030008.JPG.8045dfa336d30b13bceec47b74cc3076.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

I currently run some very basic software and am seriously considering upgrading to Woodplan or Arbortrack. Has anybody got any experience of these or would you recommend an alternative product. This would be used for tree survey work.

I'm running a Dell Axim X5 Handheld PDA with windows XP.

Ta.

I helped develop a well known tree management software and also the QTRA plugin which is in all the top tree management software. IMO the tree magement software solutions out there are well overpriced for what really is a very simple bit of script and database writing, i would stay well well clear of them all.

Get my number off Ed or i will see you tomorrow and ask away, we have a number of gis programs and have developed many databases for different clients, Dont go for either of the above though.

Our choice at the moment:

• AutoCAD Map 3d
  • Autodesk Map Guide Enterprise
  • Autodesk Topobase
  • Digiterra
  • PocketGis
  • Arc Gis
  • ArcPad
  • Survey Link

Edited by Arborist Sites

Fine Andy :) I do look forward to your vast experience on this subject at a latter date ;)

Dave et all ta. Arbortrack was my initial preference. One of the other consultants deals with BS5837. I'll just be assisting my conservation clients with roadside projects.

Edited by Andy Collins

Get my number off Ed or i will see you tomorrow and ask away, we have a number of gis programs and have developed many databases for different clients, Dont go for either of the above though.

Our choice at the moment:

• AutoCAD Map 3d
  • Autodesk Map Guide Enterprise
  • Autodesk Topobase
  • Digiterra
  • PocketGis
  • Arc Gis
  • ArcPad
  • Survey Link

Cheers mate, why i didn't think just to ask you i don't know lol !

Will see you tomorrow.

I use digiterra,

if you look to down this route give Dave Shandley at ormston technologies a bell, tell him Charlie Horsford put you in touch, but first have a figure of what you want to spend and haggle like hell with all of them as most will give 15-20% of rrp and shop around play them off against each other, (they love it really) :thumbup1:

Dave did a version of digiterra with layers for fountains for survey work, I have used pocketGIS, arcpad, and a couple of bits of freeware, but digiterra is the one i find easiest to use without a big manual, and also people with no gis experience seem to pick up quickly as well, as i tried about 6 different packages before deciding which one the local national park should switch to

I use a Trimble GeoXM that is bluetoothed to a Geo Beacon and a Trupulse Laser. The becon gives me less them 1cm accuracy and the lasers is used for gaining height and crown spread measurements.

I then use Wood plan to down load and manage all the data along with Innogistics GIS mapping.

I find that Woodplan does everything I ask of it. :biggrin:

597654db9a1a3_TrupluseLaser360.jpg.90f815910a8b14d338a8e602ca36fc70.jpg

597654db984e8_TrimbleGeoBeacon.jpg.577898ee8d7fedc761c2254297885a65.jpg

597654db966cc_TrimbleGeoXM.jpg.be5c066a7abff52b486f968498d2d86e.jpg