Brushcutter blues

Hi all, I'm after some advice.

I recently killed my second husky 545 through overheating. They do have a hard life, not used regularly but they are asked to clear very dense bramble and small saplings with a mulching blade and I have tended to keep them at pretty constant full revs.

I need to replace the machine but want to avoid having the same issue again. Would you recommend the same machine but with exercising more thoughtful throttle control. Or is there a more robust machine out there less susceptible to overheating?

Anyone with much experience of 4 stroke or backpack models?

Without wishing to start a fight, I have been warned off modern Stihl machines because of a spate of clutch problems.

Many thanks, TVI

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty simple to keep the revs down - just turn the H screw anticlockwise until the thing doesn't scream and it would be pretty difficult to seize one then if the mix was OK.

The 545 may be salvageable depending on the state of the cylinder and it may have failed through an air leak or bad mix.

I have seen saws where the carb has limiters over-rev even with the H screw turned fully anti clockwise to the limit so you really need to find the maximum permissible revs, take off 1000 - 1500rpm and set the carb to this with a tach - limited coils make this a bit more difficult but still possible.

Good question!

Always use the husky xp oil except when the brush cutter broke I had run out and used a stihl red one shot I've had hanging around for ages.

Do you think this could have been significant?

Well, shouldn't have been if the max rpm wasn't exceeded; not familiar with your machine tho. How old was the one-shot?

Running a machine balls to the walls for hours on end tho - nice to have a margin of safety with the lubricant I think.

I would not use the Stihl Red . I would go for the 50cc Husky rather than the 45cc if you are going to use the blade all the time . Its a bit heavier though but has a bit more torque . I think the Stihl red could have been a contributing factor .

Hi all, I'm after some advice.

I recently killed my second husky 545 through overheating. They do have a hard life, not used regularly but they are asked to clear very dense bramble and small saplings with a mulching blade and I have tended to keep them at pretty constant full revs.

I need to replace the machine but want to avoid having the same issue again. Would you recommend the same machine but with exercising more thoughtful throttle control. Or is there a more robust machine out there less susceptible to overheating?

Anyone with much experience of 4 stroke or backpack models?

Without wishing to start a fight, I have been warned off modern Stihl machines because of a spate of clutch problems.

Many thanks, TVI

S'funny you say that 'cos I've got a big Stihl brushcutter that I've had (trouble free) for 12 years. On the odd occasion I've used it commercially I've had an employee use it to clear brambles or the like whilst I'm doing something expensive like climbing trees etc.

It astonishes me how they think the throttle is an off/on button and that on a "empty" sweep it still has to be flat out.

Not saying that's you of course (is that you?)