Bramble cutting - torn

Excuse the pun but not only am I physically torn (next time I'll wear my heavy canvas smock to stop me looking like I've been self harming unless there are other suggestions - I was wearing welding gauntlets but they're not as long as one might like) but also mentally.

The "before" looked like this (nice to see the path I cut last year isn't overgrown):

20170204_103357.jpg

and after a couple of hours of bashing with the brush mower, like this:

20170204_120345.jpg

Now, I don't want my new woodland to be impassable so the brambles have to be controlled but now I've exposed a lot of naturally seeded young trees to predation so should I have left the brambles in situ as a nurse crop?

The mower is a DRPower brush and field mower. Not the best for brambles (as someone pointed out when I bought it) but for cutting long grass it's superlative. Might try again with the trimmer head but they still tend to get wrapped around the axles, this is what came off one axle afterwards:

20170204_122934.jpg

Edited by spandit

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're spreading over bits I haven't planted and tend to arch over the paths I do cut. I'm not spraying them so they'll be back, I've no doubt. For the smaller shrubs they do tend to shade in the summer and they must use nutrients that would otherwise be available to the trees

I hate brambles.

So invasive and they seem grow some enormous stems before your very eyes.

I like to keep them under control either by digging them up (if practical) or by mowing. They don't seem to like regular mowing and mine die back if kept down.

I had 2/3 acre of brambles 8' high. Took them down with a brushcutter, horrible job, then mowed the weeds that came up. It took two years but there's now a lovely lawn and the brambles have disappeared. I come across knobbly bits of dead root from time to time where the plant has died.