Topping gate posts

Hi all

Had a fence put up recently, and want it to last. I'd like to top the gate posts and straining posts with something that will last, and stop water from getting into the end grain. (There's a crack opened in the top of one post already) Posts are 8" round creosoted, and I can't find any large round post caps! What's the best thing to cap them with? Lead? Wood but with the grain horizontal rather than vertical? Plastic? Ideally the cheaper and more easily available the better!

Also, what's the best way to attach them? If lead I'd just fold it round I suppose, but wood / plastic would need a nail or two, then the nail hole would let water through and into the post... Don't think gripfix or similar would stick to creosoted wood, plus it's damp at the moment anyway.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd the posts are pressure treated and not been cut I'd leave them as there more likely to rot off at the bottom.

If they have been cot off at the top then yes lead cut to and inch bigger than the post and gently form it to a cup over the post and fix with the nails used on felt roofs the name of which escapes me.

I'd the posts are pressure treated and not been cut I'd leave them as there more likely to rot off at the bottom.

If they have been cot off at the top then yes lead cut to and inch bigger than the post and gently form it to a cup over the post and fix with the nails used on felt roofs the name of which escapes me.

Clout nails :001_smile:

Exactly my thoughts, more likely to rot off at ground level before etc top rots. You could just dab the end grain with real creosote if you are worried about it.

Posts have been pressure treated (I think) with creosote. Not entirely sure if the ends were cut or not! But I can see cracks in the end grain, which I imagine water must be sitting in. Won't this eventually work it's way down inside and rot the posts? Anything I can do to make them last longer would be good. I suppose a coating of bitumen and roofing felt would do it! And I already have both...