Felling tonnage

Hi, I have a 1st thinning job of larch and Douglas Fir, I am trying to work out how many trees should i expect to be felled in a day, so I can cost it out, I ask as I have found a felling gang that wont commit to a daily tonnage, not sure i am happy with going with them. I am considering two options either fell and cut to length in wood or cut take off the brash and then skid to the landing, I assume this will effect the tonnage.

Any help would be appreciated.

First thinning is wages at the best for cutters.

Surely its about how many tons they cut in a day, not tree count.What is the average tree size?

Realistically speaking if cutters are used to being paid day rate at x£s per day they can hardly be expected to work for less because someone wants them to cut a site that has low output. That is the owners problem, not the cutters, and in a standing sale would be reflected in the price achieved.

Which part of the country? Average tree size?

If you get the timber out for £35 per cube you will be doing well. First thinnings is to improve the quality of the remaining crop, and improve access , not to make money.

I work on an average of 30 trees per day per person for softwood (felling, snedding, and cutting to size), and 50 for hardwood.

I have not decided which is quicker skidding full length , or forwarding out to size.

And i pay day rate for first thinnings.

Will follow this as I have a job to price for clear felling a site. What would be a good day rate for up in north east Scotland?

160 would be a good rate , 140 more likely acceptable.

Is it fell and convert or just fell to process ?

Tbh day rate pisses me off , particularly on good timber, in recent years I have done several jobs where I have been £100 day plus down on day rate compared to piece, but its the only way to get paid .That £100 is going in someone elses pocket because the jobs been priced on tonnage .

160 would be a good rate , 140 more likely acceptable.

Is it fell and convert or just fell to process ?

Tbh day rate pisses me off , particularly on good timber, in recent years I have done several jobs where I have been £100 day plus down on day rate compared to piece, but its the only way to get paid .That £100 is going in someone elses pocket because the jobs been priced on tonnage .

Not to far of what I was thinking then. It's fell and proccess ready for the forwarder. I'm not pricing on tonnage was just going to price on days to get the job done

Not to far of what I was thinking then. It's fell and proccess ready for the forwarder. I'm not pricing on tonnage was just going to price on days to get the job done

Tbh at 160 if its decent stuff with decent cutters they will be on the make,..i am just going on day rates that we have achieved in that area in recent years...theres a few working for a lot less.

Tbh at 160 if its decent stuff with decent cutters they will be on the make,..i am just going on day rates that we have achieved in that area in recent years...theres a few working for a lot less.

Think it's 200-300 cube and thinking £140/150 a day with fuel and oil provided as I'm not out to screw anyone over

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Think it's 200-300 cube and thinking £140/150 a day with fuel and oil provided as I'm not out to screw anyone over

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That's fair, as I say in decent timber a good cutter doesn't equate to silly money per tonne at those prices,...you get your money,..not waiting for roadside stock to go, ..not to mention drying out hey.