CAT 570 harvester

Not really in the market for a harvester at the moment, however it never hurts to take a look. Seen one of these up on the net fairly local. Anyone used/worked on one?

I know that the new ones are eco log, do spares cross over much?

Im assuming the 4w set up is nice and compact in the woods and the suspension can make it pretty useable on steep ground?

Or would something a bit more mainstream be a better bet? timberjack/jd?

Well Phil Cooper will be your dealer for parts etc. I know the machine you're on about; needs to be £10k lower really.

Damn good head on it tho.

I assume you've seen that 8 wheel Logset too?

What size wood do you want to cutting in the main? If you have a saw man with you to cut off first lengths you could consider a thinnings size machine.

I'm a Timberjack man myself.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Thanks, I assumed Phil would be the man for parts etc. It lools fairly tidy, but certainly has had some wood through it!

Generally we are getting no more than 2 lengths of sawlog off the bottom of most of the stuff we cut, 40cm max usually.

I do like timberjack, however just thought this was a compact neat machine!!

Whats the deal with the suspension, is it just locked out at a selected height or does it "float" at a select height?

Yes seen the logset, whole different class of machine though!

We have had the EcoLog version working on the estate recently. Very capable machine at least down here in the low lands.

I've never used one only sat in one its like a Valmet 901 meets a Timberjack 810.

I think a lot of the issues were sorted out before CAT put their name on a forwarder. The CAT engines use to be used in the Ponsse machines S10 era. They once all the problems were sorted Ponsse changed to Mercedes Benz engines.

Log max heads are fantastic.

I'd go for a Ponsse over the TJ/JD and the Ecolog/CAT. I prefer the configuration of body and the controls are better laid out. Although 1270 is prehaps the best bang for your buck around.

We have had the EcoLog version working on the estate recently. Very capable machine at least down here in the low lands.

I've never used one only sat in one its like a Valmet 901 meets a Timberjack 810.

I think a lot of the issues were sorted out before CAT put their name on a forwarder. The CAT engines use to be used in the Ponsse machines S10 era. They once all the problems were sorted Ponsse changed to Mercedes Benz engines.

Log max heads are fantastic.

I'd go for a Ponsse over the TJ/JD and the Ecolog/CAT. I prefer the configuration of body and the controls are better laid out. Although 1270 is prehaps the best bang for your buck around.

TJ 810 is a forwarder; do you mean 870? (4 wheel).

I thought it looked reasonable at 25K but its parts that could be an issue. Apparently when cat took over skogsjan they wouldn't let anyone sell the machines apart from their own dealerships.

Check the bolts on the legs they snap off

There is a tidy 1070 for sale at the moment... Should be around the same money.