Pto Log splitter

135man

I was on to flowfit and they said I need a 180L tank is this too big I see a lot of pto log splitters and the tank doesn't seem too big!

It depends on what specification you have for the pump.

180L is a huge tank but if you are running a big pump at maximum duty cycle with no cooler then it might not be out of the way, if however, say the duty cycle is lower the heat build up wont be anything like the same.

Rather than a huge (expensive) tank and a couple of hundred quids worth of oil your money would probably be better spent in a much smaller tank with an oil cooler

As I said much depends on the duty cycle, if you are only using your machine for a couple of hours at a time, provided the oil doesn't get too hot all will be well, if it does get too hot you can always add an oil cooler later

It depends on what specification you have for the pump.

180L is a huge tank but if you are running a big pump at maximum duty cycle with no cooler then it might not be out of the way, if however, say the duty cycle is lower the heat build up wont be anything like the same.

Rather than a huge (expensive) tank and a couple of hundred quids worth of oil your money would probably be better spent in a much smaller tank with an oil cooler

As I said much depends on the duty cycle, if you are only using your machine for a couple of hours at a time, provided the oil doesn't get too hot all will be well, if it does get too hot you can always add an oil cooler later

Does flowfit sell oil coolers and pto pumps also what tank would be the best I was thinking of the tank with all the accessories as I've a complete novice about building hydraulics !!

Does flowfit sell oil coolers and pto pumps also what tank would be the best I was thinking of the tank with all the accessories as I've a complete novice about building hydraulics !!

So the first thing you need to do is decide what the machine is going to be used for, once you have this information you can go about deciding its specification

I notice you have a ram and have even decided it weighs 16.5 ton. I say this quite flippantly knowing you are referring to the force of the ram but you cant know how much force it will exert until you decide what pressure you are going to run it at.

Building a system around an existing ram often leads to disappointment. Many simply aren't suitable and in an effort to get it to move quickly a large pump leads to a lot of unwanted heat in the system.

So which tank? Whats the duty cycle?

Yes flowfit do PTO boxes and pumps. Ring them tell them exactly what you are doing and they will help you with specs. I have tried and am struggling to beat them for a gearbox and pump however there are tanks with all accessories on eBay from a hyd supplier much cheaper than flowfit.