Another scam to watch out for

martwizz

Gentleman called me today on a withheld number, but he was extremely polite and well spoken (for a change) so I allowed him to speak for a while.

He was describing some sort of 'crime prevention magazine' for the local area, and was telling me that there were no other similar business' advertised in it yet, and that I could have a half page advert for £200 (10,000 issues)

He wanted to send me a proof of the ad and sort payment within a few weeks.

Although intially I was interested because it sounded free and he sounded so genuine, however it felt a bit fishy so I told him that I would leave it. Unusually for someone like this, he actually wished me a good afternoon and stuff.

Popped onto google, turns out its a big up and coming scam.

So keep vigilant with those unknown numbers guys :)

Trading Standards are warning local businesses about invoice/advertising scam - Perth & Kinross Council

http://www.crimeprevention.wa.gov.au/uploads/file/June%20edition.pdf

Got bitten by the same crew in 2006 purporting to producing community newsletter for Herts Fire Service - even sent hard copy proof. Paid, got nothing. Then a year later demands for more money from a different company with same trading address. Replied with a letter saying in hands of lawyer and they ran away. Called themselves "Community Initiatives"

This has been going for years, expect another call in a few weeks saying you had agreed and they have now printed.

Just hangup would be my advice.

What he said, I have had loads over the years, police mags, nhs, sick kids mags all scams as they take your money and you will never see a proof or a mag/calender etc.

I had the police one over 10 years ago they even offered an improved service if you went for it :lol:

Another to look out for is do you have any unrecovered bad debts. They ask you for one they can look into to prove how good they are. They then ring back and say yes they can recover the debt thats £200 for looking into it.

i got caught with something similar. Claimed it was for a childrens charity. They said if i didnt pay i was "taking money away from sick children"

The moral of the story is do not answer a withheld number. Let it go to voicemail. If its genuine they leave a message!

I also like to interrupt them and say "if this conversation ends with me having to give you money for something, i am not interested" that usually does the trick

Had this tried on me last year. The Police charity. I asked for their website details, as obviously they would have one. "It's not up and running yet", was the reply. So I said when it is call me back. Off they went.

Checked the phone number online and it came up with the fact the number was used by scammers.