What equiptment to go for? Arb wood processing

swinny

Just looking into changing the way i do firewood.

All wood is arb wood.

Ive been considerig a japa 700 or a palax combi 2 second hand

I have been thinking today wether it may be a better idea to get a pto saw bench, and a pto vertical log splitter? So i can cut into loader bucket and put into a pile then can be split using a pto log splitter as should have a good fast cycle. All wood is varying in size so 4" up to 36" discs etc so need a versatile setup

Any help greatly appreciated. Shame apf is in september!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It depends what percentage of your wood will fit through the processor, I think the ones you mentioned are around 27cm diameter so if most your wood is bigger you're probably better off getting a decent saw and investing in the splitter unless you're doing a lot.

The advantage of the processor is you've usually got a 6 way splitter and a conveyor so it will be easier on your back.

I will be doing approx 100 cube a year allready have a hydraulic splitter on a mf30e, splitters got a but ram so powerful but slow.

A lot of my wood is mixed sized.

Anything over 12-14" is usually cut into rings

Cheers

look at the fuelwood splitta 360 or 400, 360 would be cheaper, really good bit of kit, very fast if you have rings, I just split the 2ft rings in half and feed them through, a 1m bag will be full in 4 mins if you are feeding it 12 inch ish rings, it's as fast as you can feed it, I apprecieate there is some work in ringing up so the 4 mins is just the splitting process, logs are uniform, does kindling too, and also useful for netts, have seen them second hand for 5k with 3k hydro pack :thumbup:

I like that idea of sawing straight into a bucket, but I would keep logs in the bucket at waist height beside the splitter. Save a lot of bending, and then straight into cages or crates for seasoning.

Pto splitter is the way to go alright. Last wend I had the old man picking up logs for me, as I split. It was 6-12'' stuff, with a four way head on a pto thor vertical. We were averaging about 120 split piece's every 300 seconds. Not saying you could keep that up all day, it does get boring, but the cycle time is nice between splits.

Just looking into changing the way i do firewood.

All wood is arb wood.

Ive been considerig a japa 700 or a palax combi 2 second hand

I have been thinking today wether it may be a better idea to get a pto saw bench, and a pto vertical log splitter? So i can cut into loader bucket and put into a pile then can be split using a pto log splitter as should have a good fast cycle. All wood is varying in size so 4" up to 36" discs etc so need a versatile setup

Any help greatly appreciated. Shame apf is in september!!!

Have a Hakki Pilke 37easy, joystick control, 2x wedges as new for £6995+vat?