Buying roundwood softwood - by M3 or Tonne

arboriculturist

I'm just looking for others views on buying loads of Softwood Roundwood by the m3 rather than by the Tonne.

We have been offered Roundwood roadside 1/ Green and 2/ Chip (down for 18 months on bearers) for the same price.

Transport is charged to us at £10 -12 on per Tonne basis whatever we have.

On 8 wheeler we get 17.5 tonne green or 24 tonne approx part-seasoned chip.

I would welcome your view on which is the best buy, bearing in mind we don't need to buy Roundwood that is part-seasoned.

Hoping my maths is in a similar ball park as everyone elses.

you won't get 24 ton on an artic if it's seasoned or part at 18 months It's more likely going to be 15t or less so at a green price I would go tonnage, going by cube is wasting money. unless it's been sitting in a manky wet hole and taken on weight ofc that might change things.

Im struggling to see how this works too :lol: .

Sorry typo on 1st post.

Buy Green - On 8 wheeler we get 17.5 tonne

Buy part-seasoned Chip wood - On 8 wheeler we get 24m3 ( = 17.5 tonne)

Both options are the same price.

Transport is charged to us at £10 -12 on per Tonne basis whatever we have.

you won't get 24 ton on an artic if it's seasoned or part at 18 months It's more likely going to be 15t or less so at a green price I would go tonnage, going by cube is wasting money. unless it's been sitting in a manky wet hole and taken on weight ofc that might change things.

Sorry there was a typo on 1st post - should read 24m3 part-seasoned on an 8 wheeler.

Whenever Softwood has been sitting roadside for any length of time - whoever it is always wants to sell it to us by the m3. We never get a say on the matter.

I am just looking for some number crunching from others on if it works out much more expensive to buy part-seasoned roundwood by the m3 rather than green per tonne. :thumbup1:

We used to buy at the rate of 1.1 cubic metre = 1tonne

So assuming you mean same price per CM or tonne you are losing volume but gaining transport cost. Assuming you pay about the same as us you will lose £19 per load. Or at least I think that what it was when I worked it out earlier in the day. You will not need to dry so long of course.