Hiring in a competitor?

Tom D

I'm thinking about getting a massive splitter with a 28 way knife, it would be more capacity than we need for our own stuff but I was thinking about hiring it out with an operator and doing other people's oversize stuff. There's a few estates and farms round here who would use it the odd day, but I have found that other tree surgeons can be a bit weird about hiring in a competitor.. I offer the same kind of service with the heizohack but so far only one tree surgeon has taken up the offer..

So my question is would you bring in a competitor to split your timber if he had a good machine for the job?

I'd look at it geographically. If you were 100 miles from me I'd consider you less of a conpetititor and use you. If you were in the same town or in the same 'catchment' I could see why people might be uneasy about it.

I would if the daily rate was affordable.and yes we all sell firewood but our delivery areas don't infringe. I use my nearest competitor to break down oversize timber with a digger and cracker,suits me for 350 a day and saves the capital cost. What would be silly is 2 people within a 20 mile radius buyinget identical expensive tackle and competing for limited work, if you provide a professional service with modern kit you will get work.

P's I would hire the hazelhec again,pity you went nearer tom!

Absolutely no issues for me around here, and I'd say we're blessed with some top guys with such a broad range of kit that are totally trustworthy in terms of simply coming in to do their special bit and go again.

I do an awful lot of my work on this basis, just hired to do some special aspect and then gone again, part of the reason none of my kit is ever sign written.

Eddie.

I would hire you if I was your competitor. I personally think teamwork in an industry is the way forward, it's a reason why the Dutch growers succeed, they work together, you grow X, I will grow y and cross supply other, combine, share haulage etc.

Farmers do it with machinery rings. Share kit, less overheads, more profit, You do need to watch out and eliminate the two faced backstabbers.

I wouldn't be too proud to spend two weeks with an axe rather than hiring you for a day.