Engine for home made splitter

Gmorgan

Good evening;

I'm getting to the point in my log splitter build where ill be needing an engine soon.

The main question is what manufacturer to go for?

Im keen to keep costs down of course so I'm probably ruling out a new honda, however if buying a lifan or similar will backfire on me in a year then I'm fine spending more just the once.

What would you guys recommend? I'm looking to get a 9hp petrol engine ideally, but an 8hp or a 10hp would work too, also i would definitely consider a second hand one if the right one became available.

Thanks

George

Bought a Wessex flail mower 22 years ago with a Honda GX390 fitted to it. The flail mower has long since rusted away to bits and bobs but I took the engine off it last week, drained all the oil out of it, replaced the carb and put it back together again. Attached a fully charged battery and after a few turns of the key it fired into life and purred away nicely. Going to fit a pressure washer onto it because the Chinese copy Honda one we bought last year has packed in......looks like valve problems, but hardly worth spending time fixing it for something else to go.

Moral of the story............stick to what has been copied most. I don't see anyone copying Chinese Honda copies just yet

Have you thought of a diesel yanmar or hatz are quieter but the old listers and petters go on for ever and you can still get the parts I have a couple on some mixers and they are probably 35/40 years old and they will run all day on less than a gallon of fuel .

If you don't want to go down this route then get a Honda good starters and very reliable.

Moral of the story............stick to what has been copied most. I don't see anyone copying Chinese Honda copies just yet

Loncin started off copying Honda GX engines . Now they are up in arms over other Chinese manufactures copying their copy ! Bonkers :biggrin:

I have looked into diesel but for the engine size I would need they seem far to expensive for what I'm after.

Has anyone used a Subaru engine? Something like the ex27 one they do? They come up around £100 or so less than the honda and I can imagine they are better than the Chinese versions?

I still need the hydraulic pump and drive coupling assembly yet so £100 would be a welcome saving if I'm honest

I have looked into diesel but for the engine size I would need they seem far to expensive for what I'm after.

Has anyone used a Subaru engine? Something like the ex27 one they do? They come up around £100 or so less than the honda and I can imagine they are better than the Chinese versions?

I still need the hydraulic pump and drive coupling assembly yet so £100 would be a welcome saving if I'm honest

Flowfit would be a good place to look for the pump and bell housing . They can supply to fit most engine types . I think Loncin are now owned by Kohler and the quality is pretty good now . For 9hp you could safely use 11GPM pump .

Good evening;

I'm getting to the point in my log splitter build where ill be needing an engine soon.

The main question is what manufacturer to go for?

Im keen to keep costs down of course so I'm probably ruling out a new honda, however if buying a lifan or similar will backfire on me in a year then I'm fine spending more just the once.

What would you guys recommend? I'm looking to get a 9hp petrol engine ideally, but an 8hp or a 10hp would work too, also i would definitely consider a second hand one if the right one became available.

Thanks

George

If you want a price on a Loncin send me a PM , in our experience they are no problem , we deal wilt ALKO mowers that are fitted as standard with Loncin plus sell lots of engines to builders for cement mixers.

Flowfit would be a good place to look for the pump and bell housing . They can supply to fit most engine types . I think Loncin are now owned by Kohler and the quality is pretty good now . For 9hp you could safely use 11GPM pump .

11gpm pump and bell housing/drive coupling from flowfit was exactly what I had in mind to be honest, I got a few bits for my hydraulic reservoir from them and was impressed.

Are kohler any good then?? I get the impression they are either american or just used a lot there, I've seen a command pro 9.5hp for sale here for a fraction under £300, seemed like a reasonable price to me.