Wood splitter suitable for a Ford Dexta Tractor?

ricki

Gents

I can see that a huge amounts of posts here relate to woods splitters, so please forgive me if we are going over old ground.

I have a wee Ford Dexta tractor that hasnt seen much use in the last 10 years and I am looking at dusting off the cobwebs and fitting a log splitter.

I would be grateful if your goodselves could give me some guidance as to the best approach I should take. All wood splitting will be simply for home use and I don't see me tackling any particularly nasty timber.

The Dexta needs a bit of work done to the hydraulic system to make it good to go and I see that you can get a vertical splitter that will work off a pto shaft or directly off the hydraulics.

Which would be the best to go for?

I also see that you can get a screw type splitter that also works off the pto and I was wondering would this possibly be the best approach, even though this type of unit looks a tad menacing.

All advice greatfully appreciated.

Regards

Ricki

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaps

Thanks for the replies. I was chatting to a tractor mechanic and he said the same thing, get the hydraulics sorted out first, however note of caution as he thought extra work could be needed due to the age of the unit. He also suggested a pto driven hydraulic unit.

Now the next question is does anyone have any recommendations as to a good manufacture of such a unit and what sort of size should I be looking at?

Once again many thanks for your replies.

Regards

Rick1

Here's a few manufacturers worth checking out: Dalen, Duun, Igland forest, Hakki pilke, Palax, Japa, Lilleseth.

Your Dexta will have no problems running a 4-7 ton hydraulic splitter.

Another option is to get a screw style splitter, some of them are combined with a cordwood saw. 2 in 1.

Any links to the 2 in 1 combined units. Never seen them before. Thanks in advance.

R

I run a Posch 20 ton vertical spitter using an MF135 which is of a similar size to your Dexta, PTO powered.

The downside of PTO type screw splitters is that they can do nasty things to your thumbs if they catch hold of a bit of knot in a log.

So something that mounts on the three point linkage and PTO powered.

A

I would get the hydraulics sorted and go for the conventional splitter. The pto ones are horrible Imo. They catch a log and twist it. You only need a few more revs on a low powered tractor to sort the pressure. I lent my splitter to someone with a 25hp tractor and they split with it all day and no problems. Red is cheap as anything at the moment and even if it rises you'll still be better with it. Pto uses fuel too remember so the engine is going either way. Also a hydraulic log splitter can be stopped in an instant, stopping the pto means jumping on the tractor.

I would get the hydraulics sorted and go for the conventional splitter. The pto ones are horrible Imo. They catch a log and twist it. You only need a few more revs on a low powered tractor to sort the pressure. I lent my splitter to someone with a 25hp tractor and they split with it all day and no problems. Red is cheap as anything at the moment and even if it rises you'll still be better with it. Pto uses fuel too remember so the engine is going either way. Also a hydraulic log splitter can be stopped in an instant, stopping the pto means jumping on the tractor.

I think they were talking about a hydraulic splitter with its own pump run from the PTO, not just a HiCrack type splitter.