Things I haven't done without consequence.

Mick Dempsey

Further to another thread.

I have never changed a fuel filter in a petrol tank.

I have never greased a bar tip on any saw or the clutch bearing on a husky.

I have never cleaned the fins on my 2 strokes.

In twenty years I have not changed more than 10spark plugs on the saws/strimmers/hedge cutters. When I have it's usually in an effort to fix a saw, and it hasn't worked.

Despite all this my saws/bars seem to last as long as anyone's.

I'm perplexed, what am I doing wrong, or right?

Edited by Stephen Blair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd guess you aren't doing anything wrong but I'd suggest the same approach might not be as effective in the next 20 years.

Older saws were pretty tolerant probably due to not needing to meet stringent emission regs, we didn't worry half as much (probably due to the absence of t'net) fuel probably had less chemicals.

I have 3 old saws, 2 mid to late 60's and an early 70's, they'd been sat for at least 5 years, in fact the 2 older ones had sat longer probably closer to 15 years. They all bar the 70's one started with little more than a carb clean and fresh fuel and in one case the ignition points cleaned and set.

Significantly the one that proved the most difficult had been left with fuel in the tank/carb and the diaphragms had pinholed most likely due to the ethanol in the fuel that I'd used last time it was running. The diaphragm was puckered up like a prune yet the 2 older saws the diaphragms looked perfect.

I'll play... In addition to the above, I have never changed the starter cord on a saw.

I have however just tied it shorter, my old top handle had a pull of about 6"! Still started on the first pull...

Never had to change the cord on any saw, strimmer or hedgecutter. Had to change it frequently on a BG85 blower though. :confused1:

Never changed a fuel filter, except when I ran over my saw and that was the least of my problems. :)

Also never cleaned the air filter and I only change sprockets when they're heavily worn. No problems so far.