Modified engine

case mx270

Right educate me please, I ve heard you guys taking about porting an engine .What does this mean how's it done what's the cost ( estimated) ? Also I heard you guys talking about other engine mods about mufflers and spark arresters ? What's that all about ? I have a Makita 9010 is this prime for modding ? Thanks Ian

Removal of the spark arrestor Screen is the first simple step . Modding the muffler to make it less restrictive is the next . Porting is best left to those who know what they are doing . Spud on here has done most of my saws and Petemate has done my 560 . Look at spuds tuning and porting thread .

Right educate me please, I ve heard you guys taking about porting an engine .What does this mean how's it done what's the cost ( estimated) ? Also I heard you guys talking about other engine mods about mufflers and spark arresters ? What's that all about ? I have a Makita 9010 is this prime for modding ? Thanks Ian

Hi CASE STEVE your man mate on here thanks Jon

Ian if the saw is out of warranty then you can take the muffler off and on the inlet of the muffler there is the baffle with 20+ holes take a 6mm hiss drill bit and drill out as many holes as you can reach which will be approx 8-10 re fit and richen the L jet to compensate for the mods done :thumbup::thumbup:

Not that I know much about the subject :sneaky2: you may like to richen the "H" screw a little as I have known saws to be running a little lean on the high screw and once muffler modded - bang, one expensive repair:thumbdown:

You can either use a tach to ensure the saw is running at 500-1000rpm under max revs or do it by ear and testing the colour of the plug, it should look the same colour as a relatively strong coffee, if it looks a bit "Latte" then richen it further. When you rev the saw flat out, it should have a little bit of reverberation or "four stroking" in its note!

The L screw may need a tweak but will not damage the engine. Signs it will need doing are a slight bogging just after idle (early to mid revs) when the throttle is snapped open or thrown I to a cut when not being up to speed.