Stihl MS181 Throttle Rod Help

AberdeenGS

Had an accident where my saw has shed the throttle rod after breaking a spring holding the top handle.

I've repaired the broken spring but totally cannot figure out how the throttle rod goes back into place. I've tried Google & YouTube for any photos or videos showing its location but to no avail.

Can anyone help with a short video or photos describing the correct way. Also not sure if anything else has broken or dropped off during the accident.

B7n12E

Edited by AberdeenGS

Yes, that was one of the big confusing parts. The lever that comes out the carb has a plastic part attached, the throttle rod just passes under this and locates into a small hole on the body to stabilise the rod. On removing the plastic part I noticed the marks left by the rod just pushing this part. The other end locates through the trigger, then clips into a small holder on the handle that was difficult to see. Although I connected it up correctly when operating it didn't seem to open the carb much and therethere was a lot of extra play. However on starting this was fine.

I've attached a photo of the part that failed, it holds the handheld bar onto the engine reducing vibration.

C3bfM1

• 1 year later...
Although I connected it up correctly when operating it didn't seem to open the carb much and therethere was a lot of extra play. However on starting this was fine.

C3bfM1

You had to take the throttle switch cover off, to get that throttle rod engaged right? I haven't found a way to avoid that step. ...and it always feels like I'm going to break the cover when reinstalling.

It's worth checking you've got full travel of both the throttle spindles. Top one (air intake only no fuel) opens later in the application of squeezing the throttle trigger and if it doesn't open fully the stratified charge thingee.... won't be. Plastic contact points wear with usage, on mine i couldn't see any reason not to permanently twist the throttle rod to take up some of the slack, so thats what i did.

HTH.

bmp01

• 4 months later...