Industrial wood chipper noise

Stereo

Hello folks, I wondered if any of you could offer any input on an issue we have. Our county council want to put in a waste transfer plant on a current horticultural site which has been out of use for years. It's essentially for chipping waste wood and plasterboard. That's fine, it needs to happen somewhere. However, the planning statement seems to me to contain glaring errors, as does the flood risk report.

My question really is on noise. The application states that there is a residential property about 500m north of the site and that this is the nearest residential property. Well, according to google maps, there is a farmhouse about 220m from the site and a farm cottage about 320m from it. These may not qualify as 'residential' on a technicality but people live there. Also within a 500m circle there are plenty more properties, ag and residential.

What is this going to be like for these people. I'm not one of them but I have serious concerns. I can see it ruining lives. They estimate 12 HGV's in a day but that is probably minimum I would expect. It's a waste transfer station with wood chipper and plasterboard grinder. Anyone have experience of that?

I totally accept that this stuff has to go on somewhere but it appears to me that this site is going to be dealing with waste from a town about 10 miles east of us and all those trucks are going to be coming through one of the most congested towns in our county to get to this site. It's not even our rubbish. The EA seem to have waved it through on the grounds of a flawed flood risk assessment and highways also seem to have caved in despite the main road recently losing it's 'B' status.

There's some building work planned for a site about 1/2 mile from where we live and the site was previously a council yard. All the old buildings are being taken down and the hard standing and concrete dug up and it's all being ground down into hard core on site. We have double glazing and lots of intervening buildings and we can hear it constantly at the back of the house so I don't like to think what the poor beggars next door to it are hearing all day. They will be done in a couple of weeks though so not a permanent fixture like you are discussing but they will need some serious sound deadening round the site.