Uses for an old tree stump

sueonmull

We have just had a tree cut down because the roots at the bottom were rotting. Have left the stump about 3 foot high. Before I cut it down to the base I’m looking for ideas on what to do with it, specifically with respect to providing nest sites for insects – it’s probably in too windy for anything to grow up it. Any thoughts?

You could try to drill holes up the side. Change the size of the drill bit from large to small and also the distance in to the stem. It will over time help the decaying process of the stump which the insects will appreciate and also act as a home in the meantime.

At only 3ft high, I guess you would get small insects and beetles (too low for birds).

Carve a toadstool

Thanks Betula, I'd thought of carving something interesting like a mushroom, sadly I'm lacking skills in the whittling department and it may end up looking like something which would bring down the tone of the neighbourhood. It's still a possibility though if I can find someone on the island who could do it and it would still be able to accommodate insects.