Gravity Fed

Cuttup

Morning,

I'm not sure there are 'legal implications'

It's not a handgun after all.

However, the infeed is sufficiently high and deep to make certain that you cannot fall or be dragged in.

To actually touch the blades you need to lie a GM CS100 flat and crawl inside.

(take the key out though and send the work experience lad to the shops before just in case his idle fingers pull the start cord)

Regards

Ty

I'm not sure whats being got at here..

I too was puzzled with the mention of safety implications. I suppose you aught to tell us why you want to know..

Are you buying one, have one or other..

Are you worried about safety?..

or has someone you know chopped their finger off on some broken down chipper?..

I know someone who tried to clear the outlet on a Chinese chipper shredder put their hand up to far and the shredder blade trimmed the end of the finger

If you are going to put your hand inside a running machine you probably deserve whatever you get. A trimmed finger is getting off lightly in my opinion.

Does anyone know the legal implications of gravity fed chippers ie what safety features they have to have? Anybody used one? Cheers

I've got a Timberwolf 75 and I use it almost every week. It's fabulous and only 800mm wide and I have had it through garden gates, up steps, through (yes, through) houses, up alleyways, round tight corners etc.

It would be alomost impossible to touch the moving blades, I don't think even Ussain Bolt could reach them. Taking the flywheel cover off disables the electrics. Really safe. Just got to wear visor and ear muffs, the noise form sticks rattling around in and banging on the hopper will make your ears whistle after a while.

I would imagine that maintaining its manufactoirer's safety features an operating it in accordance with manufacturer's instructions will go a long way towards satisfying PUWER. I think that's where the leagal implications come from, not from any obscure rules about what is OK and what isn't for gravity fed chippers.

I think I can shed some light on this for you - I've recently done some extensive research on this - we are the UK importers of the European Haecksler chippers, even though these chippers are made in Europe and CE marked we still wanted to double check the safety regulations for the UK

I contacted HSE and BSI looking for legislation on compact drop feed chippers, I found plenty for power fed chippers but no specific guidelines for the CS100 or Haecksler type chippers except the BSI standards on safety guards and noise emissions and the broader covering PUWER regs

I have learned however that if a machine is made in the EU and has a CE mark on it, and has an instruction manual in English then its legal and safe to sell and to use.

any chipper is dangerous if you want to crawl inside it! The people you purchased the chipper from should be able to provide all the guidance you need - beware of anything from outside Europe - it could be fine..... but in order for the CE mark to be valid your supplier should have seen the evidence/research papers that support the Certificate or declaration of conformity,

HSE has some good guidance for the use of chippers on their website

there are extensive regs for power fed chippers, the link for this is below

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais38.pdf

there are also regulations relating to safety guards on machinery, the in feed chute on a chipper is classed as a safety guard, the regs that cover this are available from BSI

BS EN ISO 13857:2008 safety distances to prevent hazard zones being reached by upper and lower limbs - british standards institution

These are just 2 of the regulations that Suppliers and Manufacturers are responsible for complying with, there are several more but its not really your responsibility to check these, they are liable if they supplied you the machine and its not safe

providing you've got a risk assessment in place all the proper PPE and the machine was supplied by a reputable distributor then you should be fine, if in any doubt check with a local freelance health and safety advisor who will be able to advise you on your personal responsibility and where that ends.

any more info you need feel free to call me on 07836 285541 or 01621 892907

regards

Jim Upson

I have an old set of HSE inspectors guidance on chipper infeed chutes that states for gravity fed chippers with the chute at more than 45 degrees from horizontal and the chipper anvil at 800 mm above ground level, the lowest part of the chute should be no less than 1400 above floor level. Although the notes were from 2002, human anatomy hasnt changed that much so it would be a fair guide to chute height.

BTW, CE marked machinery is no guarantee of safety as anyone can buy a label off ebay and stick it on. Not likely to happen with EU made machinery, but stuff made outside the EU and you should ask the importer for a copy of the declaration of conformity and check it conforms to EU standards.

I think I can shed some light on this for you - I've recently done some extensive research on this - we are the UK importers of the European Haecksler chippers, even though these chippers are made in Europe and CE marked we still wanted to double check the safety regulations for the UK

I contacted HSE and BSI looking for legislation on compact drop feed chippers, I found plenty for power fed chippers but no specific guidelines for the CS100 or Haecksler type chippers except the BSI standards on safety guards and noise emissions and the broader covering PUWER regs

I have learned however that if a machine is made in the EU and has a CE mark on it, and has an instruction manual in English then its legal and safe to sell and to use.

any chipper is dangerous if you want to crawl inside it! The people you purchased the chipper from should be able to provide all the guidance you need - beware of anything from outside Europe - it could be fine..... but in order for the CE mark to be valid your supplier should have seen the evidence/research papers that support the Certificate or declaration of conformity,

HSE has some good guidance for the use of chippers on their website

there are extensive regs for power fed chippers, the link for this is below

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais38.pdf

there are also regulations relating to safety guards on machinery, the in feed chute on a chipper is classed as a safety guard, the regs that cover this are available from BSI

BS EN ISO 13857:2008 safety distances to prevent hazard zones being reached by upper and lower limbs - british standards institution

These are just 2 of the regulations that Suppliers and Manufacturers are responsible for complying with, there are several more but its not really your responsibility to check these, they are liable if they supplied you the machine and its not safe

providing you've got a risk assessment in place all the proper PPE and the machine was supplied by a reputable distributor then you should be fine, if in any doubt check with a local freelance health and safety advisor who will be able to advise you on your personal responsibility and where that ends.

any more info you need feel free to call me on 07836 285541 or 01621 892907

regards

Jim Upson

Thanks Jim - and everyone else for your thoughts. I found various legislation on the power fed as you highlighted above, but the drop/gravity fed guidance obviously takes a bit more research which you have kindly shared. I've never considered one until now as I have a tractor and mobiles are so expensive - just a thought. Cheers guys