Vibration white finger.

Floatlikeabutterfly

Hi tried to search the forum but my bloody phone wouldn't let me input into the search bar. Sorry if this is a repeat. But I love my job and it's starting to concern me a little.

Basically I'm a subby climber, have been in Arb 8 years. I have started to notice tingling and waking up with numb hands in the night. I have always tried to minimise power tool use, and use my silky instead of my topper when I can.

I have read a bit here and there about reducing your exposure to vibration.

I have tried climbing in gloves, but I find I'm over gripping with the gloves on, and the gloves slip about which has actually made the tingling worse come the evening. I climb standard drt with vt and 13mm rope as I find 11mm too skinny to climb on.

Has anyone found any exercises or handle wraps for my saws and trimmers I can apply.

Sorry again if this is a repeat.

Thanks

Ben

I get a tingling from my strimmer handles, less so with my saws. I tried wrapping my 461 handle with "gel" shock absorbing bicycle handlebar tape but it was a disaster, the tape wouldn't conform to the curves in the handle and if you don't do it in one, the end frays and the whole thing becomes a mess. I don't think there really is any wrap that will help, Ive tried several....

Better anti-vibe is the only solution as far as I can tell. Anti-vibe gloves maybe, but again, probably a gimmick.

Just had tests done couple of weeks back...make an appointment to be safe...wear thick/ AV gloves when using groundsaw... check AV's on your machines...less trigger time.

There is some debate with AV gloves. The fact that they are inherently thick & reduce your sense of feel can cause the operator to grip much harder. As a result the vibration levels transferred to the hands can be increased as opposed to normal grip with normal gloves

i was getting pretty much all the symptoms of white finger last year and i do spend a lot of time on tools in one form or another. Work doc was ready to sign me off tool use for a year - just to cover their ass as no tool use - no job for me!

i totally didnt agree with them saying was white finger as came on too soon, ie in a hurry so i went to a physio i use and explained issues, he agreed wasnt white finger.

4 horribly painful sessions later and its cured, turns out issue was in my neck.

so bottom line is ask around, find a good physio and spend a little bit of time and money, may work out a lot better.

Imo it would be unlikely so get white finger after 10years of chainsaw use. Av mounts on saws are so good now, the only time I feel has the potential is chainsaw milling.

I know of foresters who have been in the game 40 years, back then there where no av mounts. Back may be screwed but hands are ok!

I'm suffering from carpal tunnel at the moment. If it's carpal tunnel it's usually the middle 2 fingers on the effected hand that go numb first/the most. I lost the feeling in my right hand and fore arm last week for 7 hours. Sleeping with wrist splints on helps a lot. I'd definitely advise going to see your doctor. I'm just waiting for my op now.