Should 80' oaks be cut down? (Please help!)

jmmoris

Question

Hey, folks. I'm really hoping to get some opinions here.

We have two gorgeous, 80' red oaks about 30 feet from the rear of our house. Problem is, they're leaning at about a 30 degree angle toward the house. My husband says the lean isn't new (the trunks are curved, so they probably grew toward the sun) and oaks have hardy taproot systems, so the likelihood of them falling is slim. I say they're leaning too much, and I want them down. We're deadlocked. :confused1:

What do you professionals think? There is no mounding or other external sign that they're in immediate danger of falling, at least that we can see. It's just the degree of lean and the proximity to the house that has me nervous.

Tree cutters want $4,000 to cut them both down, so we're obviously not taking this decision lightly.

Thank you!

(P.S. Attached is a pic...it's the two trees on the left. A side view would be better, but this gives you an idea, at least.)

59766e2bd4012_HomeStuff011.jpg.3c19df25d5adfa7f5dff1b0d6a6d9485.jpg

Calm yourself and be reassured that, in and of itself that lean isn't a cause for concern.

It does indeed look to be phototropism (grown towards the light) and while its hard to tell from the picture notwithstanding other defects those trees are as good a condition or better than many others

I don't think that angle is anything like 30 degrees and having grown in that attitude the trees will be "optimised" in their location

Calm yourself and be reassured that, in and of itself that lean isn't a cause for concern.

It does indeed look to be phototropism (grown towards the light) and while its hard to tell from the picture notwithstanding other defects those trees are as good a condition or better than many others

I don't think that angle is anything like 30 degrees and having grown in that attitude the trees will be "optimised" in their location

Same as what he said.

Hello JMMorris,

To be honest, you answer your own questions in your post. I don't think you need professional advice - you just need some reassurance!

Re-read your own comments below and I will expand on them:

.....My husband says the lean isn't new (the trunks are curved, so they probably grew toward the sun) and oaks have hardy taproot systems, so the likelihood of them falling is slim...

....There is no mounding or other external sign that they're in immediate danger of falling, at least that we can see.

So, the lean is not new. I would expect the trees would already be on the ground if they were previously vertical and now they *suddenly* developed such an acute angle. Trees are self-optimising structures which means that they will grow and develop in such a way that if their structure detects there is an unusual stress, then the structure will grow to compensate for the stress and therefore alleviate the problem. These trees have grown with this lean (for whatever reason eg sunlight etc.), but the structure has mechanically adapted to deal with the lean as the trees grew. Therefore - assuming there are no compounding factors eg a large decay area in the stem, then the lean is simply nothing to worry about.

You believe that they have a large taproot. Well, surprisingly they most likely wont have a taproot beyond 0.8m depth (typical for this species). Deep taproots tend to only form on broadleaf trees on (very) sandy, free draining soil or more commonly on Pines. I would expect that your trees have broad, widely proliferated, lateral rooting systems, which in fact would provide more anchorage to accommodate these leans then a taproot system with fewer laterals. I have found a nice paper on the root systems of red oaks that you may want to have a read through - purely for interest:

http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/publications/pdfs/HFpubs/paper21.pdf

Again, wide lateral rooting systems, as would be the case for these trees, are better for anchorage - so another point in favour of the trees are fine to stay as they are.

Finally, you state that "There is no mounding or other external sign that they're in immediate danger of falling". Good. I believe you. Just because you are a 'layman' don't assume that you can't have a valid opinion on the structural safety of the trees. You can see everything there, I only have the picture to go on, but by what you are saying, and from what I can see in the image, I have no reason to not believe that your observations are correct.

So rest assured - it looks like you will get to enjoy your trees for a lot longer...

Now hang on a bit, no one has asked for the location of these trees, the OP could be living in Tornado alley for all anyone knows.

A few more context pictures please and your location.

Now hang on a minute, I was the one that mentioned storm damage! :001_tongue:

Now hang on a bit, no one has asked for the location of these trees, the OP could be living in Tornado alley for all anyone knows.

A few more context pictures please and your location.

If they're in Tornado Alley, the safest bet would to be to fell everything within falling distance of the house. After that, get some half inch steel cables over the roof. to massive piled concrete anchors - to stop the house blowing away.

Not forgetting bullet proof glass in all the windows - they have drive by shootings in some states, you know, and a stray bullet may hurt someone.

Order all groceries in and work from home, driving is really dangerous!

It looks like it's a single story building, so at least there's no risk of falling down stairs...

Shall I go on?:001_tt2: