Chainsaw recommendation

Martin Jenkins

Hi, I was wondering if I could pick your brains.

I have 8 acres, half of which is woodland (ash, oak, alder, hazel mainly), which I cut and stack for central heating and hot water. The wood stove is our only source of heat (apart from an electrical immersion heater).

- I think I use about 4 cords of wood per season.

Because I haven't used a chainsaw before, when I started a couple of years back, I got a ryobi 3540c - my brother calls it a toy chainsaw, and people laugh at it. It is pretty rubbish.

I have decided to trade in a ride-on mower that was left when I bought the place, for a chainsaw more suitable.

The local garden machinery place has offered me "£200 - £250" for my husqvarna lt120 ride-on, and are asking £150 on top of the part-ex for a new Husqvarna 440e (they sell it for £386). It is a 41cc, with 18" bar. The ryobi is 35cc with 16" bar, although I'm not sure I get full power from it - seems a bit underpowered when compared to my brother's Stihl 230.

They will sell pretty much any Stihl or Husky, but in stock the biggest they had was the 440e.

Is the 440e a good choice for a weekends in the winter chainsaw user?

The "deal" is aimed to be done by this Friday.

Thanks for any recommendations!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer stihl, but either that or husky are good, go for a profesional saw if pos. (stihl ms 260), 40-60cc,if you chose to go beyond a 15 inc bar bear in mind that you can more easily catch your toes with it when snedding(cleaning side branches on a felled tree). Always use stihl or husky 2 stroke oil,and keep your chain sharp,and tensioned correctly.hope this helps.

i have a 340e (older version of the 440e) i wouldnt want an 18" bar on that saw, i run a 12" on mine, 15 would be fine but 18 would be to much in my opinion, they are a nice light saw to use though,

dont forget as well you can cut a 2ft log with a 12" bar, a lot of my friends who have had saws for cutting firewood, seem to try to insist on 18-20" bars for cutting firewood which is mostly 12-15" diameter,

I agree with Khriss as well, keeping it sharp is the key

Hi martin, saws are all about preference I ofen find myself going for the lightest saw when in woodland because I know I have to handle it all day and you'll be supprised what the little ones will come with. Where abouts in Somerset are you, when I'm logging up next you can come and have a look at mine to get a feel for what you need to do the work. Alternativly a could come and look arround your land and offer an opinion.

Different conditions different mind set . A 60 cc saw is a good firewood size .They handle a 20" bar with no problem.they aren't heavy unless you only weigh about 120 pounds soaking wet .

Go with a better quality saw,even an older one .Taken care of it will last you a lifetime only cutting 4 cords a year.

Don't get me wrong you can do real well with a little 40 cc saw,many have and do . One day though you just might get your hands on a 60 and wished you would have bought one.

I makes no diff ,they all cut wood .

Different conditions different mind set . A 60 cc saw is a good firewood size .They handle a 20" bar with no problem.they aren't heavy unless you only weigh about 120 pounds soaking wet .

Go with a better quality saw,even an older one .Taken care of it will last you a lifetime only cutting 4 cords a year.

Don't get me wrong you can do real well with a little 40 cc saw,many have and do . One day though you just might get your hands on a 60 and wished you would have bought one.

I makes no diff ,they all cut wood .

Personly I would go for 088 and 170 then you have both basses covered lol. Seriously though I can reccomend 361 for life long fire wood saw.

go for a profesional saw if pos. (stihl ms 260), 40-60cc,if you chose to go beyond a 15 inc bar bear in mind that you can more easily catch your toes with it when snedding(cleaning side branches on a felled tree). Always use stihl or husky 2 stroke oil,and keep your chain sharp,and tensioned correctly.hope this helps.

i wouldnt want an 18" bar on that saw, i run a 12" on mine, 15 would be fine but 18 would be to much in my opinion, they are a nice light saw to use though,

dont forget as well you can cut a 2ft log with a 12" bar

Thanks, sounds like good advice. I thought about going for an 18" bar just because the ryobi has a 16" bar. I won't be felling any trees bigger than 2" - value my life a bit.

One day though you just might get your hands on a 60 and wished you would have bought one.

The MS361 seems to be between £700-£800, and if I buy not from the internet (and do the px) I'll need to pay against RRP I expect - of £840. Seems a bit overkill, but then it may just be the lifetime investment I need to make. I'll ask the garden machinery place what they'll quote for that.

Yea- eithr rely, but pick the lightest if yr carrying it all day, peepl always pick a bigger saw, but a smaller sharp one will always do the job. Feel the difference on yr back at the end of the day ;)

Again, very sensible - I remember from my youth using a fat chainsaw for a day, and feeling shattered afterwards. The ryobi is pretty light.

Where abouts in Somerset are you, when I'm logging up next you can come and have a look at mine to get a feel for what you need to do the work. Alternativly a could come and look arround your land and offer an opinion.

I'm near Oakhill, in the Mendips. It would be great to have an opinion - I don't really know much about woodland management, although I have a basic plan of cutting trees down in a specific area, in the winter, attempting to let them coppice, so there will be trees still here after I've been here for 20 years!

I am getting there on the keeping it sharp point - I now have a little stump vice and I do a quick sharpen every 2 or 3 fuel loads, or when it seems to need it. Sharpening is a nice break I find.

Thanks all!