Level 4 cert- distance learning

Valmet7

Afternoon guys

Been looking into doing my level 4 certificate distant learning and just wondered who you guys have used in the past apart from tree life as I've enquired there.

Many thanks

I was asking the same thing the other day. Havn't looked into it yet, but being a University degree, or a foundation course, it should be available through the open university.

having just done a quick search i cant find anything. I'd be interested if you find anything.

No i tried to go to Westonbirt but it was fully booked and the tree mail course doesn't start until march i think, but I'm chomping at the bit to start september.

I was late trying to book for a few personal reasons but am up for the challenge now :)

Make the journey mate, its well worth it and only a few days over the year. I did my L6 with Treelife at Westonbirt, one of the lads travelled in from the Isle of White, got the first ferry.

Treelife have a very good pass rate at L6, about 35% the year I completed I think. That sounds low but check with the other providers what there pass rate is. It wasn't anywhere near that last time I heard.

I personally think the Treemail route would be tough without the regular sessions. It tough on motivation anyway. If it was a choice of treemail in March or day release in Sept/Oct I would wait. You will probably get done quicker anyway.

Just my opinion based on L6. I would think the L4 workload would be less but I am told its still pretty heavy duty.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Hi there

I did the old tech cert as distance learning, I know the L4 is completely different now as mine was based on exams.

I found it hard but I did pass it. The hardest thing I found was making time to study, very easy not to stay focused.

good luck

tree

Yeah i would rather travel to Westonbirt as my first choice but the course is fully booked for this september and I'm from Devon so any other location would be miles away.

So i was just seeing what people thought of the distance learning option as i definitely don't want to wait another year if i don't have to.

Cheers for the comments though guys

Distance learning will of course require strictness, though it's easily doable. Over the last six months I have near religiously spent most of my free time learning through reading of books, journals, etc, and have built up a huge volume of notes. When I first started I didn't see myself sustaining such a level of effort, though it's second nature to me now.

The one thing us blokes love is routine - nail that down and you're good to go.

Ask yourself this: do you want what you want bad enough to spend the necessary amounts of time pursuing the goal? If the answer is yes, it shouldn't matter whether you do distance learning or learning via the classroom, though of course there are subtle differences between the two - the guidance and camaraderie you get in the classroom may aid with your learning, though if one drills down into specific should you really need others to spur you on for something you want (on a personal level) with such desire? Look at the self-taught botanists like John Bartram: a farmer who ended up being appointed by King George as the Royal Botanist in the American colonies (and this was in 1765, way before the internet could help with learning!).

Pardon the philosophical approach though if you're that eager then dive right in.

Edited by Kveldssanger