Awkward Situation

Nick Connell

I have found myself in a very awkward position this week.

I have two friends who are neighbours at the bottom of my drive. Gary and Sue. They know each other very well and are directors of a company together. Gary's large garden has many trees which block the light out of Sues house. Gary is moving house in 4 weeks. Sue approached him to ask if she could have the 3 end ones cut down before he moves. He agreed.

I got a call from Sue to price the job of there removal. A silver birch (25ft) oak tree (15ft) and Hazel (10ft). Once I agreed the price I said to confirm permission and access with Gary before we start. She phoned him that night to confirm and then texted me to say we had a green light to do it.

After completing the job while Gary was away sue was very happy with the work.

On Gary's return we both receive nasty phone calls saying he never gave permission for it all to be done.

Today we both received solicitors letters saying he wants full size trees replaced. And now claims 7 were cut down not 3. He also wants compensation for the trespass and interfering with his property.

Very strange situation to be in considering there both my friends.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found myself in a very awkward position this week.

I have two friends who are neighbours at the bottom of my drive. Gary and Sue. They know each other very well and are directors of a company together. Gary's large garden has many trees which block the light out of Sues house. Gary is moving house in 4 weeks. Sue approached him to ask if she could have the 3 end ones cut down before he moves. He agreed.

I got a call from Sue to price the job of there removal. A silver birch (25ft) oak tree (15ft) and Hazel (10ft). Once I agreed the price I said to confirm permission and access with Gary before we start. She phoned him that night to confirm and then texted me to say we had a green light to do it.

After completing the job while Gary was away sue was very happy with the work.

On Gary's return we both receive nasty phone calls saying he never gave permission for it all to be done.

Today we both received solicitors letters saying he wants full size trees replaced. And now claims 7 were cut down not 3. He also wants compensation for the trespass and interfering with his property.

Very strange situation to be in considering there both my friends.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi nick did you get this in writing mate before you started work on the trees or was it just word-of-mouth thanks John

Where does your neighbour stand with regards moving? He may have signed a stipulation in the selling contracts that plants and trees stay with the property.

It may not be him that is annoyed but the potential new people moving in, this may have up set them and risk pulling out of a sale.

I may be wrong. You and your friend could both go round, have a cuppa or beer and say say we spoke.

If he is still annoyed then I'm afraid it might be take it on the chin and agree a replant of three trees.

I suppose lesson is try and get every thing in writing or email even if they are friends.

Awkkkkkwarrrrd!

Surely he's shot himself in the foot a bit by claiming that 4 non-existent trees were felled?

Where are the stumps?

I hope you kept the text from Sue, it could be your Get Out of Jail Free card.

Not that you'll go to jail.

Well, probably not.

If you do it should be an easy prison where shower-rape is rare.

I'd go and see Gary and ask what the crack is?

Take beer or wine, it's Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Awkkkkkwarrrrd

If you do it should be an easy prison where shower-rape is rare.

I'd go and see Gary and ask what the crack is?

Take beer or wine, it's Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The crack is were the shower rape happens ........:biggrin: