Stein Vega Harness Review

RC0

Cheers for the review Reg, good description. Had just assumed it would be a 2nd grade harness lacking the refinement of the best harnesses. Are the legloops as good (comfortable) as the Kolibri?

Quick few words on the Kolibri.....after about 7/8 years of using the Kolibri I decided to renew with the Kolibri Click, essentially the same well built/designed harness but with the addition of quick release leg buckles. Was looking forward to not having to step through the old legloops of the Multislide :biggrin:

Unfortunatley, the Click a disappointment when compared with the Multislide designwise. By adding the quick release buckles they designed it in such a way (capturing the Front Ds within the legloops) that the range of sideways movement of the legloops is restricted and at times can make for unbearable ball crushing work positions (especially on longer branchwalks, leaning out sideways etc).

Try as you might you can't slide the solid leg loop around and away from your bollocks because the legloops only have a small amount of sideways movement unlike the Mulitslide. Adjusting of the various parts of the harness doesn't work either. It seems they had to restrict the movement of the legloops because the quick release buckles would have been drawn into the front Ds.

You'll be able to see from these pics the main problem area. Multislide at top -

KG41-C_kolibri_click_frontal_2.jpg.8f74b128e2f6fd705b02b7e2fe4b6417.jpg

Skylotec_Kolibri_Multi-Slide_Harness_2D.jpg.50c9903b4807ccf0dac394ccdeff2efe.jpg

Had recently bought a new petzl sequoia but it unclipped on me a few times with there cheap buckles. Had no faith so got the stein vega plus spent a days dead wooding oaks in it and I found it to be a great harness. I generally dislike stein gear but they are getting better with quality gear.

Thanks.

Tim the legloops are pretty normal sized I think by now days standards, whilst when the kolibri came out skinnier one were more the range....which is why I personally favored the kolibri, along with some if it's other features. I hardly noticed there difference, even though they are not rigid like the kolibri. There's nothing really groundbreaking to note about the Vega, but is perhaps an indicator of how much more comfortable harnesses are in general across the board. I think it's a much safer bet now days to buy without having to try it first. Certainly in the past, say 10+ years ago I tried and sent at least 3 back because they were so uncomfortable.