Lifting limb technique

Badgerado

I'd like to hear from people about the placement of the scarf when lifting a limb using a crane or GCRS.. I have attached a diagram showing the 3 methods I have seen used.

Personally I prefer to cut at the collar as the branch attachment has stronger wood (crossing fibres), also you are positioned closer to the trunk when cutting allowing for a faster 'escape' if the limb were to twist or break off whilst cutting.. When using a crane or if the limb will end vertically I often won't use a scarf, instead letting the holding wood tear off or cutting through to release.. The advantage of this in my opinion is more holding wood, and a smoother release when using a crane, the disadvantage is that you may still be cutting when the limb releases.. The hinge wood on a scarf can provide a 'ledge' which can stop the limb swinging back..

I think we can probably all agree slow cutting and reading the wood is the key to any lifting..

If the limbs anchor point is lower and the butt is intended to swing back try to be on the other side of stem to the weight and not be hidden when it is being raised.

A useful technique to balance/distribute weight better is to drop the end of the limb on to itself before lifting the branch.

image.jpg.286bf23d7cc60dc402662c7f7681bd10.jpg

A useful technique to balance/distribute weight better is to drop the end of the limb on to itself before lifting the branch.

I don't quite understand this last bit?

In reference to the rest...I don't have as much crane experience as the likes of some on here, but I don't personally think i'd use a gob on that cut, more likely a thick step cut leaving a ledge to keep it swinging back into the trunk.....but more likely would just attempt to balance the limb and have it lifted away from me

I don't quite understand this last bit?

In reference to the rest...I don't have as much crane experience as the likes of some on here, but I don't personally think i'd use a gob on that cut, more likely a thick step cut leaving a ledge to keep it swinging back into the trunk.....but more likely would just attempt to balance the limb and have it lifted away from me

Sorry my diagram wasn't explained well, I'm talking about lifting that branch right up to vertical, imagine a house underneath and where balancing would still make it hard to lower into a small landing zone, GCRS is winching it up to a central anchor point.. (see below)

Balancing limbs is one way to do crane work but if not using spider legs etc.. The same thing can be achieved by lifting the limb straight up so the limb is balanced when it is released, obviously operator pulls it slightly away and up.. Advantage of this is that it is a quick setup and mainly no possibility of misjudging weight which can cause the branch to swing etc.. disadvantage is the time taken to winch it up.

Sorry about the confusion, the diagram was focused on the use of GCRS, just that I have used the similar technique with a crane.. (No scarf though)

(B) is explaining what I meant by altering the balance/weight distribution

Thanks for your reply Steve 😊

image.jpg.890c3b7ec72defa2e995f43c0f1a784f.jpg

I didn't get the question either but you made 2 great points. Firstly that of rip cutting/slicing timber to use the outer edge as a hinge, a hinge that can twist too, it is a brilliant technique if you understand internal tension and how to abate it. And seriously the most useful technique is that of pre-rigging. The subject is pretty huge and for the scenario you describe there are a bunch of ways to rig it up, leaving the mass on the limb, transferring it to the block or using sliding hardware like the rigging hub to form an inverted double whip tackle to lower the tip section out first.

For your question: I don't see any use for doing that unless it is impossible to get the saw in because of bulges on the branch or stem. The point of pre-tensioning is to be able to remove larger sections more safely. Those that I see cutting like this are usually beginners who feel more comfortable cutting into a cylinder, it drives me a bit potty to be honest!

You can see, just about, that there is a large rigging ring set up to the right of the tree. A 2:1 was created (double whip tackle) to be hauled by the Smart Winch, into an adjacent tree. The splayed out branches were pre-rigged and cut to hang off the rigging ring so that the tree could be lowered into a much smaller drop zone than the initial size of the canopy.

IMG_3154.jpg.8ca0ad8179fa0702508623731045ea58.jpg

You can see, just about, that there is a large rigging ring set up to the right of the tree. A 2:1 was created (double whip tackle) to be hauled by the Smart Winch, into an adjacent tree. The splayed out branches were pre-rigged and cut to hang off the rigging ring so that the tree could be lowered into a much smaller drop zone than the initial size of the canopy.

Sweet, thanks for the reply, I only got shown that 'double whip tackle' technique last year, really cool how it works and now I know the name lol, I'm always keen to learn something new, there's so many ways you can work a tree.. Some techniques you learn and then wonder how you did it before that ;)

And I'm glad it's not just me who can't see the logic in cutting out from the collar when lifting..

Thanks again for your reply Wooden Hand 😊

• 2 weeks later...