Knot tying competition Arbshow

jaime bray

The Arboricultural Associations AWG;Arborists Working Group, took over the AA's contractors workshop this year at Arbshow. Our aim was to provide a broader range of topics inside the contractors marquee, and also to run some hands on competitions for all to participate in.

The knot tying competition proved to be favourite and it was a great success. Nick Winram;a volunteer with the AWG took on the task of pulling it together, and he managed to source some donations from Marlow ropes for the prizes over the two days. A 25m spliced eye rope was winnable both days.

The competition was ran by many volunteers from the AWG over the two days and they all said it was great to meet so many people. Good fun and banter was had all around making the competition a great success.

I shall upload pictures of the score board and winners to follow.

THANKS jaime

The knots that had to be completed and dressed within reason were:

Bowline, Figure of 8, Marlin spike, Blakes hitch and prussic knot with loop provided.

Day 1.

Some good times were set in the morning session and the order in which you went about the knots seem to be the key.

It was funny seeing people have a few goes and set a fast time, walking away thinking 'that will take some beating'. Only to find upon their return that they, along with their face, had dropped.

There were three people vying for top spot, jostling all day. I threw a spanner in the works with a sub 25 second round in the early afternoon, which only seemed to fuel the addictive nature of the competition, and the top two fought it out between them late into the afternoon. Was highly amusing watching people do it, seeing the expression on their face change when the slightest fumble would lose them the valuable tenths of a second.

The eventual winner was Josh Noon with a cracking time of 21.56 seconds for all five knots. There was no limit to how many turns you could have but both he and Matt madge; the 2nd place lad were well into double figures for attempts had.

Well done Josh!! ( cant seem to get leader board picture to rotate, apologies)

59766d45cc708_WP_20150605_0071.jpg.b2d087d00e3bc5a34a94b2435c6b13ee.jpg

59766d45ca547_WP_20150605_0051.jpg.b6acaf7ac71d00aa80da2f33cfedfbb1.jpg

Day 2.

Day 2 was for the weary eyed, times and desire to have multiple attempts seemed to be subdued by the alcohol from the night before. Many times were in the mid thirties, so I thought I would lure them in with a quick round. Oliver Nixon and Rob Keyzor manned the comp for the best part of the morning and early afternoon both seeming to have great fun watching peoples attempts. Thanks to both.

With a time of 29 seconds, way off day 1's fast times, I thought that will be beat quite soon. This time seemed to stand for hours, until AA health and safety co-ordinator Tony Lane put in 28.21. Not to be outdone, and fuelling my OCD I went in with a 26.78 seconds.

This time seemed unbeatable, with shaun ferraday taking up the challenge with relentless enthusiasm. With this time seemingly unbeatable, I thought well I shall donate the rope to Arbtalk raffle if nobody beats it. With one last attempt to enable the rope to be won by a show attendee I made an announcement over the speaker system. The challenge thrown down reignited those still at the show.

Andy Golds came in close with 27.03 only for one knot to be incorrectly tied. He didn't seem to have another sub thirty second attempt in him. Shaun took up the challenge, with regular 28 second rounds, but frustratingly for him, and highly amusing for all spectators, he couldn't get below my score. Up stepped Andy Golds for one last attempt and with a time of 25.69 he seemed to deflate Shauns desire, again highly amusing. Great sports though, Shaun conceded and Andy was presented the rope.

Testament to Josh Noons time on day 1, and the others on day 1 leader board, the top three times from day 1 were not beaten on day two. (Apologies if pictures aren't orientated correctly, cant seem to get them to rotate in arbtalk mode) and sincerest apologies for the upside down pic of leader board, I was dying of night befores alcohol intoxication by this stage and just wanted to get on my way home hahaha

59766d45d2c9e_WP_20150606_0131.jpg.fe3cebc3fc2c7b47a5a5a726e6e6b03f.jpg

59766d45d0e19_WP_20150606_0101.jpg.46b2e9f1e4f718a4bdd98ef5739aeb34.jpg

Edited by jaime bray