Moisture content of oak sills

muttley9050

As per my other thread, I have 200 linear M of oak window sill to make for sash windows where I live. Obviously when finished they will be half inside and half out. What are people's thoughts on how low a moisture content I need in the timber before starting to mould the sills. The blanks were milled to about 7.5"x4.5" around 3 years ago.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

James

I would hazzard that you will be ok to make these. They have done all the movement they're likely to do and even using the 1'' per year natural drying tiome you are close to optimal.....Go for it!

I have found that bought in joinery oak is almost too dry for things like external doors and windows as the damp expands them again considerably.

codlasher

I think you will be fine 'as is'.

Oak has very little expansion along the grain, which is the primary direction which would matter for the windows sticking. If there is any more shrinkage it will be across the width and height of the sills, which will make no difference to the function (the internal upstand in the frame forms the rear seal to the sash). Are you planning on painting/oiling/varnishing any or all of the surfaces? If so, this will minimise seasonal expansion and contraction, although with oak I still reckon you can get away with it.

I did a sill in about 2001, out of 3" x 7" oak which can't have been milled for more than 2yrs at the time. It was a replacement for the rotten pine sill, the rest of the window being sound. We moved in late 2008 and the sill had given no problems. I fitted brush seals from Mighton (good company and good products btw) which dealt with any slight movement anyway.

Alec

15 - 18% MC would be fine, as above they are not likely to move much.

Half the surface area of an external door or window would be internal facing and almost all joiners would use air dried timber, unless they wanted to be back trimming down to allow them to close.

Excellent, so hopefully by the time I've bought the moulder, done a one day course, made and laid the floor I milled at the same time, then hopefully they will be dry enough. Knowing the amount of time I have to do stuff at home this is likely to be a while anyway.

Thanks for all the advice.