How do you guys search the web?

GardenKit

I guess we all search in slightly different ways, i.e different search engines and different words or phrases.

I am currently rewriting my website content in readiness for our new website in order to get the best SEO.

If you lived somewhere between Exeter and Lyme Regis and needed your mower mended which Search Engine would you use, and which words would you type in?

Then, who do you find?

Barrie

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drop the useless words. The and etc.

For you I'd put

professional(for equipment type and service.)

Landscaping, horticultural , equipment , machinery, lawnmower.

service, repair, agent.

Not all at once. I'd work through the combinations of words to get results and add geographic names.

cheers Goaty

To be honest 80% of my business is generated within about 6 miles of Sidmouth, so its that area I want to attract.

If you have the time, look on a map, choose your location within 6 miles of Sidmouth, then search and see who you find.

Let me know what words you use.

Cheers Bob, you think like me.

I had the Yell.com lady on the phone today with the line " your website is not being found".

She carried on to say that most people use Google to find Yell.com, then search for whoever they want in Yell. I just do not believe that!

I am pretty sure we don't do too bad, but I have let the SEO slip a bit, so am spending hours rewriting the content.

But the trouble is that I write it to suit the way that I think, so its good to get other views.

cheers Goaty

To be honest 80% of my business is generated within about 6 miles of Sidmouth, so its that area I want to attract.

If you have the time, look on a map, choose your location within 6 miles of Sidmouth, then search and see who you find.

Let me know what words you use.

Hi Barrie put looking for large butts Somerset thanks Jon

Thanks Richard.

To be honest its very easy for us to rank well with the search you used. The word 'lawnmower' can be found time and time again in the text of the site, as can 'Sidmouth' because, after all, Sidmouth is part of our postal address.

Exmouth is just as close to us but its more difficult to rank highly there simply because it takes more thought to include the word 'Exmouth' in the site text.

I am spending many hours writing the text, and rewriting it. And doing searches to see how the site performs.

I found we were doing poorly in anything related to 'strimmer', simply because I always refer to them as 'brushcutters' when I write content.

Some people may search for 'grass cutter repairs' in which case our site will never appear because I have never thought to include those terms.

Thanks Richard.

To be honest its very easy for us to rank well with the search you used. The word 'lawnmower' can be found time and time again in the text of the site, as can 'Sidmouth' because, after all, Sidmouth is part of our postal address.

Exmouth is just as close to us but its more difficult to rank highly there simply because it takes more thought to include the word 'Exmouth' in the site text.

I am spending many hours writing the text, and rewriting it. And doing searches to see how the site performs.

I found we were doing poorly in anything related to 'strimmer', simply because I always refer to them as 'brushcutters' when I write content.

Some people may search for 'grass cutter repairs' in which case our site will never appear because I have never thought to include those terms.

I just thought I try it as that is how I would look for it here in lincoln if I did not know where to buy from cheers Richard

If i wanted a strimmer I would use the same search though on the assumption that if you sell mowers you sell strimmers .

I use google. Ive seen yell come up numerous times but I think most see it more as some kind of spam item so personally I wouldn't lose sleep not using it.

Obviously you want the locals to find you so I would try and list local villages somehow as well as east devon as main words.

If I was searching for somewhere locally I would google similar to goaty and maybe drop in even the manufactuers name. IE Sidmouth Husqvarna Repair and then maybe add strimmer/chainsaw or whatever it was. In fairness I probably wouldn't use the word garden if I was searching if im honest.

As you say strimmer its a common word to use and brushcutter very much less so. Professionals may know and call it brushcutter but every private Jo Bloggs who uses one chances are to them its a strimmer or a "strimmer with a blade"