Length of tooth on chain

maria warwick

Straight up question: when you guys are out in the woods , or places with trees to perform the dark art on :-) …. When you sharpen your chains do you bother taking down all the teeth to the shortest one , or do you not bother? I know it reduces kickback , vibration etc if you do , but how many of you spend the time / or bother ?

I'm asking because I have hit a couple of lovely little nails recently which has taken the edge of about 3 teeth. I am using a full chisel at the moment and that obviously needs a bit more care in sharpening correctly.

Any thoughts ? ( clean ones ! ) :biggrin:

Nope . I don't to be honest . I just make sure they are all sharp . Take the rakers down every third sharpen . I take the top plate right back to and beyond the line . Sometimes a couple of teeth break off when its like that but it cuts fastener as the cutters are that much smaller kirf wise . I like a chain that is near the end . . I only use full chiz . If its dull its dull no matter what type of cutter .

I've just done my chain with the electric Lidl sharpener and I found the shortest tooth to set it to. It surprised me how much I was taking off some of the others and how far out the angles were on some of them. It's an old .325 chain and it's only ever been filed and I am by no means an expert but it did the job, just does it a lot better now. There's still plenty of clearance on the rakers, the saw is only 40cc so I don't want to overdo it.

I've been using a Lidl sharpener for the past couple of years too. I find if I set the gauge as it says, I'm taking off huge amounts on some teeth - also takes too long and risks overheating/blueing the cutting edge. Instead I just go by feel and take the minimum off each tooth to give a sharp edge. Doesn't bother me if a few end up shorter than the rest - no point shortening the life of the whole chain just to get them all the same length.

If it's just a touch-up, then they just get 3-4 strokes regardless. If I've hit a stone or metal, the chain get more attention. But getting it sharp is the priority. If the damage is severe, it's often quicker to swap the chain. I can spend more time getting teeth the same size and everything tickity-boo when I get back. When I'm not getting rained/snowed on and when I'm not kneeling in mud.

If both chains get a hammering when out. The least damaged gets a good sharpen; but I still wait till I'm back to get every tooth the same. The grinder comes out when there's lots of damage to one or more chains. (Or when milling. Lots of teeth and a little mechanical help quickens the day.)