Biomass boiler for drying timber?

Celtictimber

Evening, I'm looking to install a kiln drying system in form of a converted shipping container for the kiln and a biomass boiler to produce the heat. I'll be using it to dry timber from the sawmill and would ideally like to run it on off cuts of oak beams.

Has anyone had any experience of a biomass boiler that will run on logs and could you tell me of any good suppliers/makes and anything I need to look out for?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks Grant

Hi Grant,

We have a 95kw attack boiler heating a 40ft container as a kiln. We don't really use it as a 40ft container as we have found it just doesn't heat the whole container up enough to dry the wood so it just takes too long. I would go for a 20ft container and insulate it! Insulation in key!

We are just in the process of fitting a second system, a 130kw eco Angus as we have heard good things about it. They seem like a good company to deal with as well. I can let you know how it runs when it's all installed!

I know duffryn on here has a few 50kw heat exchangers on eBay at a really low price of £600 if you need them.

I

Hi Grant,

We have a 95kw attack boiler heating a 40ft container as a kiln. We don't really use it as a 40ft container as we have found it just doesn't heat the whole container up enough to dry the wood so it just takes too long. I would go for a 20ft container and insulate it! Insulation in key!

We are just in the process of fitting a second system, a 130kw eco Angus as we have heard good things about it. They seem like a good company to deal with as well. I can let you know how it runs when it's all installed!

I know duffryn on here has a few 50kw heat exchangers on eBay at a really low price of £600 if you need them.

I

Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of your set up.

Your joking? Never heard of it! Will give Phil a ring tomorrow about it. Is it any good?

Yup it does what it should do. I have got a 10,000 litre accumulator heated by the dragon and then fed to the kiln. 4 x 650watt fans/heat exchangers. Depends if you are into RHI? The RHI way outstrips the cost of electrics etc.

Been running it for a month and it dries a load of split/processed logs down to 11 - 18% depending where it was in the kiln in about 6-7 days. Up by the fans is the lower end. We are looking at how we can load the kiln better and maybe circulate the stock so that we have a continuous load of wood coming ready instead of a complete kiln every seven days. Early days for us but it works fine.

Where are you based you can come and have a look if you like?

Or have a look at my website there are some pictures on there?

Tell Phil I told you about it.....I told him he needed me to sell them for him!! LOL