Gas, firewood, solid fuel

CJM

I just want to know what people find best value for money to heat your house?

I've had a multi fuel stove installed at the beginning of November. I was paying around £60-£90 per month on gas to heat the house (depends on how cold it was) since I've installed the stove my gas usage has went down to £6-10 per month (heating water) I get my wood for free but if you had to pay for wood gas oil or solid fuel what would you choose?

I'd go for solid fuel I can make a 25kg bag of ovoids last a week and a £7 a bag that's £364 a year. I could probably get that cheaper if I bought in bulk and through the summer I probably wouldn't burn at all. I don't have the facilities to use oil so I can't comment but if I was to put it in scale of price it would go;

Wood

Gas

Solid fuel

Just wanted to see different views on fuels that heat the house

Wood has to be cheapest if you're getting it for free, no?

I guess it depends how you view the time / effort of cutting, stacking, seasoning, carrying into the house, lighting the fire, clearing the ash and through life stove costs in financial terms - it's a different game to letting the thermostat do the work!!

We're on biomass pellets - last 3 years, 1 pallet delivered at about £230ish per year (just gone up.)

As a legacy installation, first RHI payment is due this Feb and initial calc's indicate +/- 3.85k per year so all install costs recovered in 3 years then gravy!

Gas 4.46 pence per kWh (quick google of prices for our area)

Oil 5 pence per kWh with oil @ 50 pence per litre

Wood 7.1 pence per kWh based on our prices of £100 per cube which is around 350kg

Thats with all at 100% efficiency. Think oil and gas boiler are around 95% efficient and good stove 90%

So based on the above mains gas is cheapest just.

I know I am financially better off to sell all our logs and use our electrically powered ground source heat pump.

Should add the fire is roaring as I type :thumbup:

Edited by Woodworks

Wood 7.1 pence per kWh based on our prices of £100 per cube which is around 350kg

Thats with all at 100% efficiency. Think oil and gas boiler are around 95% efficient and good stove 90%

I know I am financially better off to sell all our logs and use our electrically powered ground source heat pump.

Mains gas is cheap but it kind of isnt on the other hand I've got a new combi boiler so it's pretty efficient but the fact it runs off a thermostat and you've got a wife that constantly adjusts the thermostat it's not as cheap as soild fuel :laugh1:

As a business we pay £0.28 plus climate change levy plus VAT on gas so about a penny less than you.

I'd love to know how you get 90% out of a woodburner, I think RHI expects 75% and a recent survey reported the average for those over 45kW of 66%.

If you quickly do the sums on excess air and flue temperature compared with a condensing gas boiler you see why.

Sell it rather than use it is undoubtedly the better option financially, but I don't! 3 log burners ticking over in our house, 1 more to go in when that room gets 'done.'

:thumbup:

As a business we pay £0.28 plus climate change levy plus VAT on gas so about a penny less than you.

I'd love to know how you get 90% out of a woodburner, I think RHI expects 75% and a recent survey reported the average for those over 45kW of 66%.

If you quickly do the sums on excess air and flue temperature compared with a condensing gas boiler you see why.

The gas price is a joke realy. I went onto a supplier's site and it asked for our postcode and up pops the price. There is no mains gas in this postcode :biggrin:

Totally agree that 90% is highly unlikely for a WBS but doesn't stop manufacturers claiming these sorts of figures. I exaggerated with 90% Wood burning stoves, multi fuel stoves, stoves