Milled Sweet Chestnut

Forest2Furniture

Hi Rob I did a load of sweet c nut about 7/8mnts ago and I did that through and through and according to the customer who I bump into every so often it has stayed nice and flat and he didnt even stack it right I did try to tell him but you know how some people can be ,how did it mill I have done 2 lots the first lot was a demo with the mill for a mate who then got one from you ,that one cut like a knife through butter but the next sweet c nut I did wasnt so easy maybee I got my angles slightly out

Cheers Mark

I've milled 170 cubic foot of sweet chestnut so far this year and the only stuff that has split had a crack in the trunk to start with.

It's part of a floor board job and I know Big J and others suggested getting a mill in to do the job but all the trees are in inaccessible areas of the woodland and with chainsaw mill running so sweet it's not been to bad a job.

They'll have right angles in 'em next week :lol:

Damn stuff has a mind of it's own.

Only if spiral grained I think?

Ive made a chest from 24 inch wide slow grown sweet chestnut, hardly plained anything of it & 18 years later its still flat. {including the heart board for the top.}

Sweet chestnut is the only timber I have ever found which edge bends itself! I cleaved a load of it for the battens for the extension (tile and cladding) but because of modern building regs I then had to plane the clefts to an even thickness and to install it in straight lines I had to cut 2" widths out. I was using overstood coppice lengths, about 8-12" diameter, and they started off dead straight. No spiral when cleft, but they ended up looking like bananas! Fortunately the batten could be edge-bent back into shape when fitted.

Alec

because of modern building regs I then had to plane the clefts to an even thickness and to install it in straight lines I had to cut 2" widths out.

Wow! Thats a pain, and totally bonkers. I'm lucky enough not to have had to engage with building regs yet on anything i've built. Not looking forward to it when the day comes.