Further to fuel issue threads

teepeeat

With all the talk about stale fuel, and various comments about only using fresh fuel, who's to say how long the petrol has been in the petrol station tanks before we pick it up?

Also, how rigorous are their quality controls at all points between leaving the refinery and going into your can? Are there any tests or control measures? What chances of contaminants getting into the systems and storage tanks??

Just curious as know nothing about the fuel supply line.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the talk about stale fuel, and various comments about only using fresh fuel, who's to say how long the petrol has been in the petrol station tanks before we pick it up?

Also, how rigorous are their quality controls at all points between leaving the refinery and going into your can? Are there any tests or control measures? What chances of contaminants getting into the systems and storage tanks??

Just curious as know nothing about the fuel supply line.

I was a middle ranking executive in fuel distribution and supply company.

I can tell you without equivocation that rigorous checks are in place to ensure that all fuels are turned round quickly, and quality is checked at every point before it gets into the tanks.

Actually I was nothing of the sort but you're worrying about nothing.

I was a middle ranking executive in fuel distribution and supply company.

I can tell you without equivocation that rigorous checks are in place to ensure that all fuels are turned round quickly, and quality is checked at every point before it gets into the tanks.

Actually I was nothing of the sort..............

That's a very clever post, makes an excellent point!

One thing that I havn't seen mentioned here is how good the seals are on our storage cans. I would think unmixed petrol does not deteriate in a jerry can with a perfect seal but keeping fuel in a plastic container with a less than perfect seal would allow deteriation.

This is the issue.

Fuel kept in an airtight container will not deteriorate. Fuel kept in a vented carburettor fuel bowl or tank will deteriorate relatively quickly.

It all about evaporation - exposure to the atmosphere