VW Touareg

wisewood

I'm looking at getting a new to me vehicle that will need to be able to occasionally tow to max train weight and be a good family run about.

Can't afford two vehicles so it has to be an all rounder.

The Touareg seems to fit the bill on paper, but I know very little about 4x4's

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this car? Or have other suggestions maybe?

Cheers,

Si

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

I cant say much about the touooouuoreg, as i dont know much about it. However, i am hearing very good things about the Amarok, the 5seater pickup.

Its only got a 2litre engine (cheap tax, cheap to run), but judging by what they tow behind them here on the autobahn, towing capacity should easily be enough for your chipper.

And, it looks quite a smart truck :thumbup1:

My only knowledge of a Toerag is a friend's and she had a mare with it. VW told her the wheels couldn't accept offroad tyres, they admitted that on test driving it themselves the tracking was going out in 10 miles (front tyres were lasting 2,000 miles) and that the tracking couldn't actually be adjusted perfectly at all.

After over a year of wrangling she got rid of it, with some compensation I believe.

That vehicle may have been a Friday pm special of course but it may also provide the basis for further research.

My Brother in law had one , kept it a year and a half due to the amount of time it spent in the garage !!

New propshaft at 33k drivers door handle twice , air bag fault three times at over 1k , went through tyres in a matter of months , some brake abs do da pressure thing failed , turbo hoses burst .

Foreman at the dealers told him they were nothing but trouble . :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Thanks guys,

Bit disappointed as the touareg looked perfect for me.

I had ruled out the pick up types as I'd prefer to keep my kit in a lockable boot. It will be primarily a family car but thinking ahead for the future I want to be able to tow a big trailer to pick up big logs and deliver sculptures, hence the 3.5 train weight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

My Brother in law had one , kept it a year and a half due to the amount of time it spent in the garage !!

New propshaft at 33k drivers door handle twice , air bag fault three times at over 1k , went through tyres in a matter of months , some brake abs do da pressure thing failed , turbo hoses burst .

Foreman at the dealers told him they were nothing but trouble . :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Sounds like a typical VW, god alone knows how their cars ever gained the reputation for reliability they seem to have.

Must hark back to the Beetle.

As covered elsewhere, the running costs of something with a high towing capacity used as a "runabout" will be shocking. With a careful use of your available budget you could very easily be much better off with a vehicle for each job.

Edited by wrsni