346xp (50cc) feeling a little tired.

Gerbutt

Hi

I've had my 346xp for a few years now and it's just starting to feel a little tired. Would it be worth sticking a new piston kit in it without changing the cylinder?

If so, could someone please put a link up for the Meteor kit? I've seen a few in the net but want to make sure I get the correct one.

Cheers

Ger

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I've had my 346xp for a few years now and it's just starting to feel a little tired. Would it be worth sticking a new piston kit in it without changing the cylinder?

If so, could someone please put a link up for the Meteor kit? I've seen a few in the net but want to make sure I get the correct one.

Cheers

Ger

You need to know if the saw is the older 45cc version or the NE New Edition one which is 50cc.

The later saws had silver coloured clutch covers and fuel pump bulbs on the top cover.

The later piston - HUSQVARNA 346XP - 44.3MM "METEOR" PISTON KIT | eBay

The earlier one - Piston Kit fit HUSQVARNA 345, 345 e, 346 XP & EPA (42mm) - Kolben | eBay

There are other sellers on ebay but can vouch for DACK, DANICROP and MAX MOTO - all are reliable sellers.

In answer to your question, if the plating on the cylinder is OK then the piston will have a good effect, especially when bedded in. I do tend to very lightly hone the bore to break the glaze and to allow the rings to bed in quickly.

You could just try replacing the ring, I've done this in the past and it made all the difference ( only about a tenner for OEM ring ):)

TBH, the piston skirts generally wear first and the seal around the piston is almost as important as the seal on the ring.

I have had saws make decent compression but have no go because the piston fit was poor. You also run the risk of free porting around the worn piston.

Anyway - a tenner or 30 pound - not much difference and the piston rings on Meteor pistons are by Caber - one of the best!

Nice one spud! It's the 50cc version so I'll get one from the first link. Where do you get the base gasket from?

I may get a new exhaust too, any good links for them? I think it would be wise because I may have made the port on this one a little on the large side!

Didn't realise the pistons were so cheap! A much better option then.

Sorry to derail OP but, Spud, I have oldish 357xp that would quite like modded as I've read a lot about your skills and would like to feel the difference for myself: what could you do to it?

Muffler mod, open and re-shape the inlet and exhaust ports, reshape the upper transfers, open and flow the lowers a little, muffler mod and lower the squish - it will put a smile on your face and go like a scalded cat:thumbup:

I also make sure the engine is airtight and make sure the piston and bore are in good shape whilst I am at it plus the fuel system gets a going over - bit like an indepth service with some heavy modification!

Nice one spud! It's the 50cc version so I'll get one from the first link. Where do you get the base gasket from?

I may get a new exhaust too, any good links for them? I think it would be wise because I may have made the port on this one a little on the large side!

You can probably get a gasket kit off ebay or Garden Hire Spares/GreenStripe are good, You can drop the base gasket and use a high temp liquid gasket to seal the joint - it will give extra oomph but make sure you clear the carbon from the squish band if you do this!